LOSSES

Seeing my unborn child has flipped a switch in me I haven't been able to turn off. Several thousands of dollars later, I'm staring at a nursery I've put together in the new home I've purchased for Evelyn and me to raise it in.

There are just a few things we must do first.

Sitting across from Evelyn and her legal team, I wait for her lawyers to finish going over some changes she wants to make to our marriage contract and prenuptial agreement. She watches me the entire time with an unreadable expression on her face. Pretending to be innocent when the child growing inside her is proof of the contrary.

It takes a little over an hour, but her attorneys finally hand us back the paperwork with suggested amendments. One of them being an infidelity clause stating that in the event that I should be unfaithful to her, our prenuptial agreement will be null and void.

Smart girl.

But there's no way in bloody hell I'm adding that.

"This is a marriage of convenience. Not love. I will not add an infidelity clause to my already generous offer." I refuse her request.

"Then I'm afraid we're at an impasse. Because I refuse to continue the marriage without one." She argues. "I'm just trying to protect myself, Alexander."

"That's rich, coming from you." I scoff. Then I offer, "I'll include the infidelity clause if you admit what you did."

I need to hear her say what I already know.

"For the last time, Alexander. I haven't done anything." She stands her ground. Exhaling an exasperated sigh.

Meanwhile, our exhausted attorneys sit across from each other. Praying we reach a compromise soon so they can go home to their families.

"Fine. I'll allow the infidelity clause in exchange for ten percent of the controlling interest of G Technologies." I counter with another offer.

To my surprise, she doesn't balk at that offer. She confers with her attorneys in hushed whispers before countering with an offer of her own.

"I'll give you five percent of the controlling interest in G Technologies in exchange for three percent controlling interest of King Technologies and the inclusion of the infidelity clause."

Her offer is so tempting it makes my todger twitch with excitement. And after conferring with my attorneys, I can't see a reason not to take it.

"Remove the infidelity clause and I'll match your five percent of G Technologies with five percent of King Technologies. It's worth triple what your company is worth, and you will never get another offer like this again."

Evelyn confers with her attorneys once more before finally agreeing to my terms. Which I find surprising. For someone who wishes to protect her heart, she's just left it wide open.

Our attorneys get to work drawing up the necessary paperwork while I take Evelyn to the coffee shop on the ground floor for a croissant and coffee.

"Does it hurt?" I ask. Curious about her pregnancy.

"No. I'm just tired all the time and my body aches."

Instinctually, I move to massage her neck and shoulders and she stiffens in my arms. Surprised by my gesture.

She clearly doesn't trust me as much as I don't trust her.

"Are you seeing Ms. Vasquez?" She asks.

"Is that why you wanted an infidelity clause?" I deflect back to her.