THE POWER COUPLE

When I accepted Alexander's invitation to come to his home, I thought I would be consoling him and helping him get back on his feet. I wasn't expecting his omission or the kiss I can't get out of my head.

A kiss I told Sam about, which lead to one of the biggest arguments we've ever had. Because I thought he'd give me advice as a friend and business advisor, but what I got from him was another guilt trip.

I didn't expect him to use my momentary indiscretion with Alexander to make me feel like the lowest human being on the planet. But according to him I've been leading him on. Even though I've been very clear about where I stand.

I'm still married.

And I'm nowhere near being over Alexander.

That doesn't stop him from telling my mother, who he backs financially for one of her business ventures. Threatening to pull out because I've offended him somehow. She tells the rest of my family, and I get to hear how stupid I am and how I'm putting their livelihood in jeopardy.

Sam even tells Bishop Riggs, hoping to ruin our working relationship. But thankfully, Bishop isn't as easily influenced.

"You just have to give Sam some time to calm down. It's not like you the two of you are together, anyway. He needs to get over himself and stop acting like he has some sort of claim on you? You kissed your husband... not some stranger. And just because he's sweet on you doesn't mean you did anything wrong. There's nothing wrong with that." Bishop reasons. Eyeballing Karen like she's a full course meal.

Ever since they've met, there's been sparks flying between the two of them. And he finds any excuse he can think of to visit just so he can be near her.

Yesterday it was about this new software program he was working on, and today it's about new advancements he's made in his neurotechnology research campaign.

"Did you see that King Technologies' stocks have plummeted yet again?" Karen asks me. "I wouldn't be surprised if they were bankrupt by this time next year."

"Serves the Kings right." Bishop scoffs.

"Why? What has he ever done to you?"

"Nothing." Bishop shrugs. "I've just heard a lot of things about him. None of them good."

"From who?"

"Sam... the Weitzmans... virtually everyone in the business world hates that guy."

"Yeah, because he's incredibly good at what he does." Karen shakes her head. "He's like the Beyonce of the business world. He's so good at what he does and so insanely rich that everyone hates him for it. But that's also the reason someone like you should want to work with him. He's a guaranteed payday."

Bishop sinks deeper into thought while I give Karen a 'really?' look.

She's always been team Alexander. So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised she would defend him. Besides, in some ways I think she feels like she's defending her choice in men.

"Well, I have wanted to work with him in the past. In fact, his company wanted to meet to discuss working with me on one of my projects. But Sam said I should meet with Evelyn instead. Not that I'm regretting my choice or anything." Bishop assures me. "Based on your latest development in technology, you would've been the better choice. But the King name carries the kind of weight I need to take my company to the next level."

I knew Sam had an angle.

I knew it.

"Well, don't let me stand in your way." I tell him. "In fact, I'll get him here so you can meet him and judge him for yourself."