BROKEN

When I told Evelyn I would take her back to my place, I fully intended to take her back to my family home where my dad was on the mend. But the more I thought about kissing her, holding her, and wanting to be inside her, I knew I had to get her alone. So, to the penthouse suite we go.

She looks puzzled as we approach. Wondering where I'm taking her.

I won't spoil it, though.

I want her to always know where to find me.

Mostly in case she gets an itch that needs scratching.

My driver pulls up to the front of the building and he helps her out of the car. I follow behind her as we quickly enter the building.

"Mr. King," the doorman greets me with a nod. Then Evelyn. "Miss Graham."

Evelyn nods back. Her cheeks turning a telling shade of red before she shyly turns away from him. I nod to him as well and he quirks his brow at me. A knowing glance passing between us. Because I've never brought a woman here before. Never felt the need or wanted to.

Not since...

But as with everything else in my life lately, Evelyn is the exception to that rule.

We take a private elevator up to my penthouse, and when I push the front door open, Evelyn's mouth opens slightly. I want to tell her, this is where I go to escape life, but the following look she gives me tells me she already knows.

My penthouse comes complete with an open floor plan, wait staff, and ceiling to floor windows that wrap around the entire space. With only light canceling curtains to offer us some form of privacy from the sun, moon, and curious onlookers in other buildings.

Should they feel bold enough.

***

Alexander's penthouse is beautiful. With far more character than the home he shares with his family. It screams bachelor pad and broken soul. With big, bulky, heavy furniture. Masculine browns, grays, and black colors throughout.

And paintings.

His paintings catch my eye because every person depicted in the painting has pain etched in their expressions. Like they're exposing their deepest sorrows. Which speaks to my own dark heart because I've never fully recovered from Jackson. From loving someone so much they become a piece of your soul. Only to have them leave, taking that piece of your soul with them.

You never feel whole again.

Alexander's phone rings off the hook the moment we enter the penthouse. And while he deals with his shareholders, department heads, and security team, I explore his penthouse. Taking in everything that is Alexander King.

The rugby trophies.

The family photos.

And the many awards he's won in his lifetime.

Exhausted, I sit down on the sofa to wait for him. Only, I doze off on the couch to the sound of his frustrated voice yelling at someone on the phone.

When I awaken sometime later, Alexander's staring out of the window taking in the vast view from the penthouse. A wine glass in his hand.

His jacket is strewn across me like a blanket, and my shoes are neatly placed beside me on the floor. He seems lost in thought until he sees my reflection move in the window. Turning to face me, he offers me a small smile that doesn't reach his eyes.