TRUST ME

Evelyn grows more and more impatient as the days pass. But what I'm working on will take time. Time she apparently doesn't have if her mother standing before me isn't indication enough.

"My-my-my, have you made a mess of things." She smiles smugly at me.

Annoyed, I reply, "I'm afraid I haven't the slightest idea what you mean."

"Sure, you do. Or did you think Jackson's little pissing contest was just for show? He's intimidated by you, and he wants nothing more than for Evelyn to continue being as unhappy as she's been since he left her. Well... until she met you."

Good to know.

She's also tardy to that little knowledge party.

"Do you know why she's avoiding me?"

"Yes. She's looking out for her son. Elijah is one of the most important people in her life, and Jackson knows it. That's why he's using their son as a bargaining chip to get what he wants." She explains as if I don't know this already.

"What do you want?" I ask. Curious.

"Money, of course."

"Then why'd you come here? You passed a bank a few buildings over."

Laughing, she pats me on the hand. Then her expression turns serious. "Let's cut the crap, shall we? I know all about your father's condition, Mr. King. A condition I'm sure you wouldn't want your shareholders to find out about. And my proposal is this... I want you to invest in my latest business venture in exchange for my silence."

How the bloody hell did she stumble upon that little nugget?

Evelyn's mother is as diabolical as they come. Using my father's illness to bleed me dry. But if I give into her now, she'll have her hand out forever. If I don't give into her, she'll cause a stir I'm not sure our company could recover from. So, if I'm to concede, I want something in return.

"I'll invest in your startup, but not because I'm afraid of you leaking information with a bullshit claim... I have lawyers and publicists who can handle that." I agree to her request. Sitting back in my chair as not to give away how truly by the balls she has me. "I want Evelyn in return."

"Evelyn's her own person." Her mother quirks an intrigued brow at me. "She stopped taking my advice a long time ago. Besides, you already have her. She's your wife. You simply need to make it official and put a baby inside her."

Absolutely not.

"She's pulling away from me and I'd like to have someone on the inside of her family circle to prevent that from happening. At least until I can figure things out on my end."

Winnie sinks deep into thought. Regarding me with eyes that look as if they're already counting the pounds coming her way.

"I will keep Evelyn's focus on you, that much I can promise. Just as long as you ensure that the marriage between our two families will be beneficial for us all. You must do the rest. In fact, if you were smart, you'd take my advice instead of dismissing it and put a baby in her before Jackson does... again." She leaves me with that parting warning and exits my office.

I can't tell if she's being serious or just stirring the pot.

Sinking back into my seat, I dial Evelyn for the seventh time. And much like my previous calls, I am greeted by her voicemail.

It's been two weeks since I last saw her. Since she spurned my invitation to dinner, and left home before I arrived. Avoiding me and forcing me to chase her harder than I've ever had to work to chase anyone in my life.