EMPTY NEST

As promised, Jackson calls me the next day to discuss a new custody arrangement for Elijah. One where Elijah will primarily live with Mary and Jackson during the week, but I'll get him on the weekends and every other major holiday. And as soon as I hang up the phone, more tears fall from my eyes.

"Is there anything I can do?" Alexander offers.

"No. Not unless you can convince my son to come back home." I flash him a half-hearted smile.

"I'm afraid that's beyond my expertise. But how about breakfast?"

Silently, I nod. This is not the first impression I was hoping to make with him. I've never even given Jackson the satisfaction of seeing me cry. Tears are a weakness in my family's eyes, and they prey on the weak.

I follow Alexander into the kitchen where he makes us breakfast. And it tastes just as amazing as the dinner he made.

At least one of us can cook.

My cell phone buzzes in my pocket, and I pull it out. G Technologies is displayed across the screen, so I excuse myself from the room and take the call in the guest room.

"Ev?" David calls out to me. His voice sounding concerned.

"Yeah, it's me. What's up?"

"Are you with Alexander King right now?"

"I'm at his house. Why?"

"Meet me at the office in an hour and I'll tell you." He replies. "And come alone."

"Okay."

That's not ominous at all.

"Is that Elijah?" Alexander asks from behind me. Startling me to the point that I drop my phone.

Thankfully, the screen doesn't shatter.

"No. It was one of my colleagues. After I examine your father, I have to go." I tell him. "Also, thanks for the heart attack. Do I need to put a bell around your neck?"

"Have dinner with me tomorrow night." He asks. Ignoring my sarcasm.

"Is there an event or something?"

"No. I'd just like to have dinner with you."

"Haven't we blurred enough lines already?" I quirk my brow at him.

"Forget about the agreement, Evelyn. I mean it."

"I don't think you know what you mean."

Closing the distance between us, he places his hand over mine to stop my fidgeting. "Have dinner with me." He tries again.

"I'll think about it." I sigh. Hoping to appease him long enough for him to let me go.

Alexander releases me. Standing there with his hands in his pockets while I pack my things. Then he watches me examine his father who's still showing no side effects and I leave.

Only, when I arrive at G Technologies half an hour later, there's panic in the air. With David and the rest of the department heads running around in a frenzy.

"What the hell is going on?" I ask. Entering our conference room to surprised faces. "Why is everyone on edge?"

"This is why." David tosses a file down in front of me.

Picking up the file I thumb through it. And one name in particular jumps out at me.

King Technologies.