SURREY

Evelyn is placed in a holding cell for hours without being allowed a phone call.

Not that she needs it.

I know this, because as soon as I am free, I call in a few favors. Especially after one of the officers tells me they plan to charge us with assaulting Sam Tisdale. Which is complete rubbish. But he isn't the only one with friends in high places.

Evelyn is able to pull some strings of her own. And after sending Karen back to retrieve the surveillance footage from her security cameras, she presents her evidence to the charging officer, his superior, and the DA who immediately drops all charges against us. Though, neither of them seem very keen on charging Sam with assault as quickly as they were prepared to charge Evelyn and me.

It takes another hour for Evelyn to be released. And when she is, she walks straight into my arms.

And I vow never to let go of her again.

Only, TMZ is waiting for us outside.

Because someone in the police department has loose lips.

Shoving cameras in our faces and asking us questions neither of us will answer as we make our way to my waiting car, TMZ follows us until the car takes off at a speed they can't keep up with.

"Where to, boss?" Benji asks. Winking at me through the rearview mirror.

"My flat." I tell him. Noticing the uneasy look on Evelyn's face that follows. "Then to London."

"Wait," Evelyn practically leaps out of her seat. "I can't just drop everything and run off to London with you. I have Elijah, my patients, and my business to worry about."

"Get on the blower, call Karen, and arrange for her and David to look after things. Elijah is already with his father, so you just have to extend his stay. I'm thinking seven days should be enough time for all this to blow over."

"You expect me to spend seven days alone with you?" She stares incredulously at me.

"Yes. Why? Are you afraid to be alone with me?"

That's a loaded question and we both know it. If she says yes, it won't change the fact that I'll do whatever I can to convince her to go. And if she says no, I'll take it as a challenge to find a way to talk her into going anyway.

It's non-negotiable.

She ends up doing as I ask and reaching out to Jackson who gives her grief about all the times he has to keep Elijah. Complaining about her work or her love life getting in the way of her being a mother to her son.

After that brutal conversation, she makes some arrangements with David and Karen to run her company in her absence. Then she's finally all mine.

Afraid she might change her mind, when she asks to go back to her place to grab a couple of things, I refuse. Instead, I offer to buy her whatever she needs.

And money is no object.

"I don't need your charity, Alex. I can pay for whatever I need myself." She refuses my generosity.

Fiercely independent, this one.

"I know you can, but my dad taught me that a gentleman should always pay. Regardless." I mention my dad for the first time since learning of his passing.

The ache in my heart intensifying.

I know I'll need to deal with his passing sooner or later, but I'm not ready yet.