CUSTODY

I'm angry with Evelyn for taking Jackson's side over mine, but only a dick wouldn't understand the position he was putting her in. And for every night I spend alone... every call or text that goes unanswered by my wife, Jackson will pay.

And he'll pay handsomely.

I have my people dig up every secret, skeleton, and the tiniest morsel of information about Jackson they can find. Then I set my plan in motion. Putting pieces of my revenge in place until I'm ready to pull the rug up from underneath him. While doing everything in my power to get Evelyn to talk to me.

I've sent flowers.

I've sent gifts.

I've even gone as far as to pay off all her family's debt.

Everyone but Mary. Hoping they'll pressure her into speaking to me again. Or realizing she would be stupid to walk away from me. But my efforts are futile, and her silence is killing me.

Not one to shy away from a challenge, I go back to my old tactics of showing up wherever she is. But her new security detail is more than efficient.

They block me at every turn.

Successfully keeping me from my own wife.

With that avenue being a dead end, I turn up the heat on Jackson. My despair would be his until he sought to end it. Releasing Evelyn from whatever hold he has on her. And it isn't long before security in my office building informs me that my wife is on her way up to speak to me.

I haven't seen her in weeks, and just the thought of seeing her again has me thickening in my knickers.

It's been way too long.

Sitting behind my desk, I wait for her to arrive. Hearing the footfalls of her delicate feet outside my office mere moments before the door swings open and her furious gaze meets mine.

"Ello love." I drag my eyes down every inch of her body from head to toe.

She looks ravishing.

"Why?" She asks me. Her angry eyes doing nothing to calm the swelling in my trousers. If anything, it bolsters it.

"Why what?"

"You purchased Jackson's family's company out from under them!" She shouts. Though I can't tell if she's angry with me or reacting to something Jackson may have said or done once he realized it was me. Then she softens her expression and adds with more despair in her voice and eyes than I can bear to handle, "He's threatening to take my son from me if you don't fix this, Alex."

Ah... so, the latter.

Those thirteen words wipe the smile clean off my face. Replacing it with a burning rage that Jackson would have the balls to threaten her instead of coming to me like a man.

"How? He won't have a pot to piss in when I'm done with him."

"What?" She recoils. "No. Alexander please just leave it alone."

"I'll handle it." I assure her.

"No." Her words are final. "What you need to do is let me handle it and stop trying to destroy him."

"And let that wanker win?" I balk. "By the time I'm done with the Hewitt's, they'll all be bankrupt."

"This is exactly why I have to hold you at arm's length," she sighs. "Is that what you want?"