FOUR O' CLOCK

Benji has been silent ever since I had him drop Evelyn off at home. And whenever he's silent, it usually indicates he's cross with me. He's grown very fond of her these past months and has often told me she reminds him of his sister. Someone he cares deeply for. So, before Evelyn takes this relationship away from me too, I call Benji into my office to hash it out.

He enters my office, but he still doesn't speak to me the way he normally would.

Or at all.

His judgmental gaze meets mine and he clasps his hands behind his back. Waiting for me to issue a command. All soldier and less my closest friend and ally for the past twenty years.

"Clearly, you have something to get off your chest. Now would be the time to do so." I tell him.

Shaking his head, he tells me, "I have nothing to say."

"Bullocks."

"It won't change anything. So, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather just get on with the days' activities."

Nodding, I sink deep into thought. Benji is normally a great judge of character. It bothers me that he's not as upset as I am. And I'm wondering how much of this is because of his budding friendship with Evelyn.

"How is she?" I ask.

"When I left her, she was very upset, sir. Though she tried not to show it."

Sounds like her.

I shouldn't care in the slightest about her being upset after what she's done, except... I hate seeing her upset. My first instinct is always to protect her, even from me.

That hasn't changed.

If I could get past her betrayal, I would. But that ship has sailed, and with it, my sympathy for both Evelyn Graham and her feelings.

"Do not forget she had a hand in the shit show that is the state of my family's company."

"I am aware of what she's done." Benji nods. But his demeanor remains the same.

"Also, don't forget who signs your very generous paychecks." I level him with a look.

Sighing heavily, he nods again. But I can tell there's still something he wishes to get off his chest. And just when I think he's going to clam up and not voice his concerns, he surprises me by doing just that.

"It's just... I've been around you and Mrs. King enough to know how the two of you are. That you're good for each other and she brings out the best in you. That you haven't been this happy or smiled this much since Stephanie." He pleads her case. "You're angry with her, because prior to her betrayal, you were falling for her. And I do not believe your feelings for her are in vain, sir. I believe she has fallen for you too. So, whatever betrayal she may have committed against you... there has to be a reasonable explanation for it. I do not believe she would intentionally cause you harm. In fact, based on what I've seen, I believe there has to be another explanation for what's happened."

Several key things he says cause doubt to creep into my mind. Add the fact that Evelyn's texts to me do not lineup with someone who is guilty, that she believes me to be the one in the wrong, plus everything I've come to know about her, and even I am starting to believe in her innocence.

But if not Evelyn, who?

Benji has given me more to consider. Specifically, that there might be an innocent explanation for what's happened, and why I was forced to push away the one person I've grown to care about since Stephanie.