EXPLOITING WEAKNESSES

After touching down at my family's private airstrip, Benji is waiting for me. He takes me from the airstrip to King's investments where the media is in full force. Blocking all the entrances in the hopes of catching a glimpse of me. And once they see me approaching, the camera flashes start. Followed by a barrage of questions I'm never going to answer, and them trying to follow me into my building.

Once inside, I turn to my head of security and tell him, "I want them removed from the premises at once."

"Yes, Mr. King." He nods.

I make my way to my office to handle a few things that won't wait, and then I try calling Evelyn for the millionth time, only to reach her voicemail.

Damn her.

Dialing Benji a second time, I ask him, "Is the tail we put on Evelyn still in place?"

"Yes, boss. She's currently at home with her son." He informs me.

And ignoring my phone calls.

"How is everything coming along with our home? Is it ready?"

"Yes sir. And I made sure everything was as you requested."

"Thank you, Benji." I exhale a relieved breath. "Send movers to her place to do as I asked, and that will be all."

Hanging up the phone, I sit back and sigh. I know she wants another baby, but I don't want to be a father.

Inheritance be damned.

It's not like I'm hurting for pounds. And now that my father has passed...

Bloody hell.

Grief threatens to unravel me, but I shove my emotions away. I'm not ready to face that reality yet. I just wish my mum and sister Ailene would get that memo.

The elevator to my floor dings and they both emerge from the elevator with a mission in their hearts and an intervention on their minds.

"Can we talk?" My mum asks. She and Ailene taking the seats across from me.

"I don't want to talk about it mum." I shake my head.

"He was in pain, Alexander."

Grief forms like a knot in my throat and I swallow it back down.

"I said I don't want to talk about it."

"But you must." Ailene's worried gaze pleads with mine.

She and I are close enough for her to know I would move heaven and hell to take away her pain and sadness. But to do that, I would have to confront the anger threatening to consume me daily. Anger that my dad... a man I loved more than life itself, chose to leave me rather than fight to stay here for me.

How do I reconcile that?

"We need to make arrangements to bury him. But we can't do it without you. He named you the executor of his will and gave you power of attorney over his medical decisions, Zandy." My mum sniffles. Tears falling from her eyes.

Fuck.

Just... fuck.

I can't do this.

The lump of grief in my throat returns with a vengeance, and tears force their way to my eyes. Unable to speak, I simply nod and allow my mum and sister to tell me what they need.

He knew I would react this way.

He knew I would distance myself to ward off the grief.