DARK HEARTS COLLIDE

***THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SEXUAL CONTENT, WHICH MAY BE TRIGGERING TO SOME. IF DESCRIPTIVE SEXUAL CONTENT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE, PLEASE STOP READING***

My mother moves fast. And a week after I watch Evelyn cry her eyes out over her son, we're both on a plane to the UK to get married at Hampton Court Castle in Hereford. And with us getting married on such short notice, she made sure to keep the guest list short. Inviting all the important players in our families and circle of friends.

The ceremony was beautiful. With Evelynn and I reading vows to one another neither of us wrote, but they somehow summed up my feelings exactly.

Our ceremony took place in the garden at sunset, beneath the blue sky. And as we read our vows, the sky darkened. Fully setting at the precise moment we're pronounced husband and wife.

Which was bloody fucking beautiful.

Almost as beautiful as my bride.

The ceremony couldn't have been more majestic, and my mother couldn't have timed it more perfectly.

Evelyn looked radiant in her wedding dress. In fact, when she emerged from the castle to walk the gravel road toward me, I actually felt something. Something I've never quite felt before.

Whole.

Complete.

So, when it came time to seal our new status as husband and wife with a kiss, I gave her a real one. And if we weren't in front of a crowd of people we needed to believe in our vows as much as we should, I believe she would have slapped me across the face. But she played her part and played it well. Dazzling my family and friends while fitting in as if this is where she belonged.

Bearing my last name.

Wearing a wedding ring that tells the world she's mine.

And flourishing at my side.

Evelyn Graham and I are now Mr. and Mrs. Alexander King.

Fuck.

I need a drink.

And drink I do.

In fact, I got so drunk that at some point I threw up all over Evelyn's wedding dress. She had to change, and I was sent to sleep off the liquor while she finished entertaining our guests.

Needless to say, she wasn't happy with me. And she refused to speak to me the next day over breakfast or even acknowledge my presence. But she cleverly placed a UK magazine article on the table between us that dubbed her 'the lonely bride' on account of my absence and her having to entertain our guests alone.

I wonder how many diamonds it will take to make up for that blunder.

The correct answer is none.

There aren't enough diamonds in the galaxy to make her forgive me. So, when we finally

return the states, I give her space. Allowing her to facetime to check on my father's progress.

Even though she never asked me, and I never agreed to it.

She comes around long enough to perform my father's second surgery successfully, but the moment she deems him out of the woods, she vanishes again.

If I didn't know any better I'd think she was avoiding me.

After a week of not seeing her, not receiving her texts, and not receiving any phone calls from her, I find myself lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, wide awake, and unable to sleep for the seventh night in a row.