NOTHING BUT LOVE

After a long day filled with meetings, potential clients, actual clients, and disgruntled employees believing they're more capable of running my business than I am, what I look forward to the most, is spending time with Evelyn. Only, when I reach my car, I'm surprised to see her ex-husband, Jackson, waiting for me. Leaning up against the car I just paid several hundred dollars to have cleaned and polished, talking to Benji.

What the bloody hell did Evelyn ever see in this bloke?

"Jackson Hewitt." I offer him a feigned smile. Wondering what he's on about. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"I'm here about Evelyn?" He tells me. Sounding every bit, the territorial male I'd expect someone like Evelyn to attract. "If she's just someone you're using to get to the fortune her father left her, or access to her company, I'm warning you to walk away now. Her focus needs to be on our son and running the company you put her in charge of. That's it."

"Weren't you the one who divorced her so you could marry her sister? And with no care in the word for her feelings." I match his intimidating gaze with one of my own. I'll be damned if I'm going to be lectured by this piece of privileged shit. "This is rich, lad. Especially coming from you."

"This isn't a game, and I don't care what your family name is or how many zeroes you have in the bank. If you do anything to affect my son's future, I will come for you."

I like him less and less every time I set eyes on him.

"Why are you really here? Is it because your loss is my gain?" I smirk. Purposely breaching his personal space until only a sliver of space remains between us. I want him to know that I'm not afraid of him. That in this dick measuring contest I'm the clear winner. Hands down. "What Evelyn and I do or have going on is none of your concern. So, if you've nothing left to say to me, I'll be on my way." A smug smile tugs at the corners of my mouth. Then, leaning in to add insult to his already gaping injury, I whisper, "And tonight, while you're lying in bed wishing you had the balls to do what do what a real man would, I'll be making her bloody fucking toes curl."

Anger flashes in Jackson's eyes. Rearing back, fist cocked, he promptly decks me in the face. Only, I don't flinch like he expects me to. I lean into it. Hoping to shatter some bone in the process. Smiling when he hisses and yanks his fist back to shake his hand out.

Good.

I hope it's bloody broken.

Licking the warm metallic blood coating my lips, there's a promise to return the favor glinting in my eyes.

Startled by my boldness and lack of a reaction, Jackson backs away from me and leaves. His tail tucked firmly between his legs. And Benji takes that moment to recover from shock. Drawing his gun while sporting a confused look on his face.

"My apologies." He expresses his remorse over not reacting soon enough. "I was... not expecting it to go down like that. Is he a problem I should be fixing, boss?"

"No." I shake my head. "I've got it handled."

"Really? And what part of you allowing him to punch you in the face then live to tell bout it is you having it handled?" He teases.

"The part where he just fled for his life and now knows I am not to be fucked with."

"I can see the wheels turning in your head. What are we going to do about it?"

"Nothing." I tell him. Amused by the surprised look on his face that follows.

The old me would have beaten him to within an inch of his life with my bare hands. But I have too much to lose to waste it on someone like Jackson. He's not worth the aggravation.