7.

Nice. They aren't together. Not that I care.

"What? No, I don't like Theo- I mean, he is a cool guy and very hard working, but not in that way!" I defend myself, even though there was nothing to defend about, she was just making a joke, chill out Kasper. 

"Alright, you are free to go as well, I'll finish this salad myself, just tell me who asked for it" She says, grabbing the knife.

"I did." I say, making her look up at me in disbelief "Really? Stop playing around" She rolls her eyes in annoyance.

"I'm not, I was hungry plus I wanted to talk to you." I take the knife away from her and set it down. "But now, it doesn't matter." 

"Oh wow, dramatic much? Just like your mother- wait no, I didn't mean to say that" She quickly apologizes and corrects herself and as much as I wanted to agree with her, I also didn't want just anyone and everyone talking bad about my mother so I just simply nod my head and stay silent for a moment.

"I told you, you are free to go" She repeats herself as she finishes placing last few glasses in the dish washing machine, since the last five people have left as well, even though it was still 30 minutes until midnight. 

"I can stay and help you clean up" I offer, looking around to find with what I could help her with.

"It's fine, Stella will come early to clock in and wipe the tables, since she left earlier today" She says as she walks past me, turning down the lights on the beach so the only light is above us in the bar, but before she could turn off the music, I grab her hand to stop her.

"How about, now that we are free and no one is there, we have one drink and dance? You had a rough day and I'd like to treat you to a drink and dance, if you'd like." I smile politely to her, as it only took me this whole night to gather balls and ask her for a dance. 

"I'd love to, but I don't really drink and I'm tired so I'd rather just go home, plus you probably have someone waiting for you as well." She replies, and I try my best not to frown, and not to throw up at the thought of my dramatic and hysteric mother waiting for me back home. 

"Oh alright well, would you like me to give you a ride home since it's dark?" I offer once again, hoping she wouldn't say no this time.

"No need to, I live close by, it's only a 15 minute walk" She replies while gathering her stuff and grabbing her bag from behind me, as I move around not to be in her way but since there is no space, we were forced to squeeze by each other and I guess she could see the disappointment  on my face so she let her bag down and smiled at me "One dance won't kill me I guess" She looks up at me, waiting for me to make a move.

I reach out to grab her hand in mine, but her phone buzzes many times, indicating an incoming call, so I take a step back and nod my head, giving her a sign that it's okay for her to pick up.

I look up at the sky above the sea for a moment and sigh, whispering to myself "You really like giving me challenges huh? I just want to make amends, stop making it be so hard" I whine and complain to God quietly enough for her not to hear me, she leans her back against the sink, facing me as we are still pretty close to each other since we are standing in the same tight place.

"Hey mom.. Yeah I'm fine, just cleaning up everything, counting the money and I'll be home soon.. Don't worry, I'm not alone.. Yes, a guy.. No mom, he is..." she pauses and looks at me for a moment, thinking about an answer.

A stranger, tell her. He is a stranger who is also very annoying and has spent the whole day here just to fucking talk to me, tell her that, come on - these thoughts fill my mind as I eagerly wait for her to finish her sentence.

"... he is a friend, who helped Theo and me today, don't worry, he is alright."

Alright?! I'm alright?! The least I could get is 'a gentleman', 'nice' or 'cute' but alright?

"Mom, don't worry, he offered to walk me home" she says and she signs me with her hand 'no need to', giving me a sign that she is only saying it because of her mother "go to sleep okay? I'm sure you've had a rough day and I want you to rest, goodnight and love you." She finishes the conversation with her mother, then clears her throat "Kasper? You've been quiet for a minute, everything alright?" She asks me, making me look up at her as I was staring at the ground, wondering how she has such a great relationship with her mother. Like, there are people whose mothers care about them and love them, and not the money? Wow.

"Yeah, let's get you home, it's late anyways" I reply and push myself to stand straight and she does the same, so we kind of bump into each other, causing her to almost drop her phone but we catch it at the same time and her screen lights up "Oh, it's midnight exactly, our job for today is done! Make sure to make a wish" She giggles and looks up at me, so I send a small smile her way as a response and take a step back, letting her finish off with the cash register. 

We walk out to the street, side by side, talking about few random things in life, not like getting to know each other, but just filling the quietness. As we reach my car, I unlock it by pressing the button and look over at her "Come on, I'll give you a ride home." I offer her, walking towards the passenger's side. 

"No really it's fine, I live close from here. Thank you for helping us today and thank you for.. saving me." She looks over to me as we talk from a distance so I decide to walk back to her "No need to thank me, I had fun working for uh, let's see, 0 bucks today" I make a joke, causing us both to chuckle "Well sir, you earned yourself a free strawberry cup tomorrow - or whenever you come by next time." She smiles at me, having her work smile on her face, treating me like a customer again. Didn't she just say we were friends?

"Sounds good, but since you are so stubborn, can you at least text me once you get home?" I politely ask her, not to get her phone number, just because I worry after what happened today, plus I know how men are and I have a younger sister too, so I wouldn't want anything to happen to her. Kasper, why are you talking to yourself and trying to justify your actions to yourself? 

My thoughts were interrupted by her hand tapping my chest lightly "There, once you get in the car, send me a message and I'll reply once I get home" She says and I look down to see a piece of paper in the pocket of my shirt, then as I look up I could notice that she has already took a few steps back and her hair was loose, not longer up in a bun and I could see in the dark that her hair was in blonde and brown locks, all the way down to her a-

"Goodnight, Kasper. Drive safe" She smiles at me before turning around and walking away from me, leaving me standing there, watching her turn back to the beach and I guess walk home.

"Goodnight Mackenna!" I reply loud enough for her to hear me, hearing her giggle as a response.