Chapter 51 - 60

Chapter 51

After Mrs. Zhou's words fell, the room was silent for a moment. The first person to respond was Mei Shi. "No, of course I am looking for silver. So why are we talking about that?"

"As we're talking about this, let me ask you another question!" Mrs. Zhou looked at her. "Since you got married, who has been keeping all your silver?"

Mei Shi dropped her head. Elder Brother Zhou frowned slightly. "Mother, don't..."

Mrs. Zhou was not polite when she said, "I am your mother, can't I ask?"

"I keep the silver. It's not like I can't do that. I have to use the silver to buy beans, and then again, I am worried that they will lose the silver. Haven't they done that already?" Old Lady Liu looked righteous as she spoke.

Mrs. Zhou snorted. "Actually, I do not like Mei Hua. If there was a slight chance, I would not have agreed to this marriage."

Mei Shi's face turned pale; Mrs. Zhou glanced at her. "I don't like you, but it's not because of you. Remarrying is not easy for women in this world. Although I have been following this rule for years, I won't judge anyone who remarries. I dislike you because you can't handle things properly. When you get involved with your ex-mother-in-law, how can you lead a fulfilling life?"

"What do you mean by that?" Old Lady Liu was dissatisfied. "At the time of the marriage negotiations, it was agreed that if Mei Hua remarried, I would be entitled to a pension."

"That's right, I promised to give you a pension. But to give and let you keep all the silver they earned, that's not so fair, is it? You're in my son's home. Did you ever ask me what I think?" Mrs. Zhou was also annoyed when she talked about it. "Could it be that when I'm lying in bed unable to get up, my son has to go and beg you for silver to hire a doctor?"

Elder Brother Zhou lowered his head.

Mei Shi's complexion changed slightly. She usually did not think so, but what kind of son would ask for silver to hire a doctor for his mother?

"If it is Mei Hua's mother, then I can accept it, but you're a former mother-in-law. So why do you want the silver my son earned?" she asked.

Old Lady Liu sneered. "I can tell there is no thief in this family. It's obvious you took Mei Hua's silver and deliberately let us cause trouble. Wasn't that your goal then?"

"I may be poor but I am not poor enough to become a thief. Plus, it's my son's silver. If I ask for it, can't he give it to me?" Mrs. Zhou's tone was serious. "Why would I have to steal?!"

Her voice had such a righteous tone that when one considered it, it seemed true. Moreover, if Mrs. Zhou had really wanted silver, she could have simply asked Elder Brother Zhou to give some. Could he not give her?

"Today, in front of the family, I will say it again. If you want to move back to Liujia Village, I won't stop it. But if you want to take my son and daughter-in-law, it's impossible!"

Old lady Liu was about to speak when Mrs. Zhou raised her hand and said, "You also should not speak about returning in two years to build a house. I do not believe it. I understand your thinking very well. The boss is poor, isn't he? You are interested in the eldest child because he is poor? You are treating him as a long-term employee for whom no payment is required, so you can use him as you please. Even if he agrees, I can't let it happen!"

"Mother, it's not like this." Elder Brother Zhou said urgently.

"What's it like then?" Mrs. Zhou looked at him. "You're over 20 years old, Mei Hua isn't too young, and you've never had children. Why did you not have children for a year?"