Chapter 80 - 93

Chapter 80

Li Xian, do you have any evidence for accusing Wang Er of theft?"

"Yes! And there are two witnesses." Li Xian said, "One is my cousin Li Yu who saw Wang Er steal the jade hairpin from my mother's room a couple months ago. The second is my grandmother's relative Granny Hong. When my mother got married, Granny Hong helped dress her up and saw the jade hairpin with her own eyes."

Li Yao listened and chuckled to herself. The original owner of this body really went out of her way to extort some silver from her, even preparing the witnesses thoroughly.

With this, even if Wang Er sprouted ten mouths, he probably couldn't talk his way out of this. After all, it was true that his family was desperately poor two months ago, so stealing something to pawn for money seemed reasonable.

She wondered how the new County Magistrate Song would handle this case.

"Li Yu," County Magistrate Song asked in a loud voice, "Did you see Wang Er steal with your own eyes?"

"Yes, I saw it with my own eyes."

"Clearly?" County Magistrate Song continued asking, "Could you describe what the jade hairpin looked like?"

"This..."

County Magistrate Song nodded, then asked Granny Hong: "Could you see the jade hairpin back then?"

"Yes, sir, I saw it clearly."

"Do you still remember what it looked like?"

"I...remember..."

"Good!" County Magistrate Song said, "Captain Zhang, take these two down separately and have them describe the hairpin in detail, then compare their descriptions. If they match, then Li Xian's family did have such a jade hairpin. But if they don't match, then it means these two never saw such a hairpin and they're framing Wang Er! False accusers shall have their punishment reversed. By law they should be caned sixty times and jailed for three years!"

When Li Yu and Granny Hong heard this, their faces instantly turned pale and their calves started shaking.

Who would've thought the county magistrate would make such a move?

They did mention the hairpin before, but never described it in detail!

Now what could they do?

Seeing the two falter, County Magistrate Song knew he had guessed right. He sternly shouted, "Li Yu! Granny Hong! I know you two were deceived. If you tell the truth now, I can exempt you from punishment."

"I'll tell, I'll tell! It was my mistress who told me to say this. I never saw any hairpin."

"Me too," Granny Hong quickly added, "She said she'd give me 1 tael of silver after everything, so I was blinded by greed!"

The crowd of onlookers immediately erupted.

They knew Wang Er was an honest boy, how could he steal from others?

And this county magistrate was quite capable, solving the case with just a few questions.

At this time, Li Xian's face was pale and his body soft.

He didn't know how Mother did this, how could there be such a big loophole? Now...now it was really over!

"Li Xian, do you have anything else to say?"

Bean-sized beads of sweat had already rolled down Li Xian's forehead.

At this point, he did have a way out - to push everything onto his mother, pretend he knew nothing. But that would lead to Mother being caned and jailed.