Chapter 52 - 65

Chapter 52

In front of the dry well in Baiyun Village.

Although dusk had already fallen, Wang Er was still holding on to his book without letting go, and Lv Xiucai had not relaxed his urging of him.

Lv Xiucai felt that he was right to come along.

After all, for a job like digging a well, Wang Er only needed to find a location, he didn't need to do any manual labor. So these three days had not delayed Wang Er at all.

This kid was also diligent. With all the clamor and noise of digging the well, he was able to ignore it all, as if he couldn't hear anything.

A true scholar must be like this, shutting out all outside matters and focusing only on reading the sages' books.

These past few days, Song County Magistrate had also noticed Wang Er's diligence and desire to learn, and he was quite appreciative of it. But right now his mind was focused on the well water, so he didn't have time to mentor Wang Er.

Not long after, two yamen runners came back with noodles and cooked up several big pots full next to the well.

After the villagers had eaten their fill and regained their strength, they lit their torches and continued working.

But this layer of red stone seemed exceptionally thick. They dug until late into the night but there was still no sign of breaking through.

"Sir, you should go rest."

"No need, I'm fine."

Song County Magistrate stubbornly rubbed his eyes and took some medicinal cream his wife had prepared for him out of his pocket, applying it to his forehead and temples.

The cooling sensation revived his spirits a bit.

Just then, someone in the well suddenly shouted,

"Broke through!"

Song County Magistrate was overjoyed, and also extremely anxious. He hurried over to the mouth of the well.

"Is there a lot of water?"

"Yes County Magistrate, very much!"

"Quick, quick, let me go down and see!"

With everyone's help, Song County Magistrate was gently lowered to the bottom of the well with a lever. When he saw a stream of water as thick as his fist continuously bubbling up from the ground, he was at a loss for how to express his excitement.

"Good, good, excellent! This much water is enough to irrigate thousands of mu. We'll have enough!"

"This is all thanks to you, sir!"

"Don't talk nonsense!" Song County Magistrate said. "This accomplishment could be attributed to you well diggers, or to Li Yao from He Wan Village, but it certainly cannot be attributed to me!"

When he returned to the surface, Song County Magistrate, whose brow had been furrowed for days, finally relaxed.

"Zhang County Captain!"

"Here sir, do you have any orders?"

Song County Magistrate said, "Leave two people here to oversee securing the well. The rest will return to the yamen."

"Yes sir."

"You will escort me to Yizhou prefecture."

"Huh?" Zhang County Captain was startled. "Sir, it's already midnight. Why not leave early tomorrow morning?"