Chapter 122 - 135

Chapter 122

Finally, Li Yao set a price.

"Let's do 3 coins per catty," she said.

One mu of land needed 3,000 seedlings, about 300 catties, which was 900 coins.

It seemed expensive, but if one mu of land could produce 2,000 catties of sweet potatoes, it would sell for at least 10,000 coins. It was a guaranteed profit.

The villagers provided the labor and could earn money. Everyone would not lose out.

"Okay, let's go with this price," said Song County Magistrate, finalizing the task. The other 22 villages had to buy all of He Wan village's sweet potato seedlings and plant them strictly according to Li Yao's methods.

He knew the village chiefs would resent this, but he had to do it.

Only large-scale farming, allowing more people to reap the benefits, could quickly promote this crop.

In just a few days, all of He Wan village's sweet potato seedlings were sold out.

Song County Magistrate estimated that the sold seedlings were enough to plant over 12,000 mu, about 550 mu per village on average.

If the yield was as high as Li Yao said, Baichuan County could produce 28 million catties this season alone...

But was it really possible?

Song County Magistrate didn't know, but he knew that if the yield was that high, Great Ling would no longer lack food in the future.

Just wait for the autumn harvest.

...

After planting the sweet potatoes and potatoes, every household began preparing to plant rice.

Li Yao's family had over 10 mu of paddy fields. She didn't plan to manage it and left it all to Da Zhuang.

Still, she taught some advanced farming knowledge, like raising seedlings first before transplanting. When transplanting, use ropes to plant in straight lines and make the space between rows face east to benefit photosynthesis.

Da Zhuang followed her words diligently, spending every day in the paddy fields.

He Xiaoya's belly was very noticeable now. Li Yao didn't let her go out now. She took walks in the yard every day and cooked by herself.

After the farming was done, the two workshops resumed full production. Jia Zhanliang and Liu Yuan, who had been gone for months, each brought long convoys to He Wan village.

Producing soap required huge amounts of lard. Now, Wang Yuanguo had bought up almost all the lard in Yizhou Prefecture, but it still couldn't meet production needs.

To get more goods, the two simply purchased lard directly, continuously transporting it to He Wan village.

The cost was higher, but better than no goods.

"This time I've brought 3,000 catties," said Jia Zhanliang. "I'll have about this much every month from now on."

"I've brought 2,000 catties."

5,000 catties from outside plus about 3,000 catties purchased locally per month was enough to produce 120,000 bars of soap.

But even so, they both still felt it wasn't enough.

"I don't know who said it, but frequently washing hands with soap can not only prevent minor illnesses but also prevent plagues," said Jia Zhanliang. "So soap is in shortage everywhere now."