Chapter 108 - 121

Chapter 108

After joking around for a while, people still felt unsatisfied and said, "Since your family is so rich, why did you come to see your father-in-law empty-handed?"

"I didn't come empty-handed. I brought many things to pay respect to them." Da Zhuang said.

"Where are they?" the second sister-in-law asked with a smile, "I haven't seen even an egg so far."

"They are in the carriage outside."

"You also have a carriage?"

Hearing this, He Shiyou felt a little wrong.

It was normal for an out-of-town son-in-law to brag a bit in front of villagers, but one couldn't brag about a carriage because it would be easily exposed as a lie if it couldn't be taken out.

"Da Zhuang, where is your carriage?"

"Outside."

"Why did you leave it outside? Bring it in."

Da Zhuang: ...Wasn't it you who asked me to leave it outside?

But Da Zhuang obediently went to bring in the carriage, stunning everyone.

"Yo, it really is a carriage."

"There are also two sheep behind, could they be gifts for their family?"

Da Zhuang first untied the sheep and tied them to a tree in the yard, then opened the carriage door and started unloading the gifts prepared for his father-in-law one by one.

"Two pigs' feet."

"10 Roast goose."

"Two bolts of cotton cloth."

"One bolt of satin."

"One bolt of silk."

"50 jin of kapok."

"200 jin of rice."

"10 jin of rock sugar."

"20 jin of brown sugar."

...

"20 bars of soap."

"Soap?"

Hearing this, the villagers were shocked.

Soap was a rare commodity. Although it only cost 100 wen per bar now, it was often out of stock and simply unavailable to buy!

"Where did you buy the soap?"

"Our family makes it ourselves."

Villagers: ...We thought it was the premium soap from Li's Store in He Wan, but it turned out to be homemade lye soap.

"There are also 10 bars of perfumed soap."

"Wait!" Second sister-in-law's voice sounded like a choked chicken again, "What did you say, perfumed soap? 10 bars?"

"Yes."

"Don't brag about this. Do you know what perfumed soap is?"

"I know, for washing face."

"You..." Second sister-in-law was about to be angered by him, "Yes, it's for washing face, but not for ordinary people to wash face with. Only wealthy families can afford it. A single bar costs at least 3 liang of silver! Yet you said you brought 10 bars?"

"It's probably homemade lye soap with some fragrance added, fake ones."

"He absolutely cannot afford the perfumed soap from Li's Store in He Wan."