Chapter 16 - 30

Chapter 16

When Zhao Lanxiang took out the rice, He Songbai did not come over to eat immediately.

Instead, he squatted by the well to wash his face and wipe his sweat. The clear well water poured over his head. Coldwater ran down his forehead, all the way down to the collar of the undershirt beneath his neck. The wet clothes clung to his skin and outlined his lean upper body. His rough palms wiped his face. He shook his head, flinging a circle of water droplets about him, then walked back to the room silently.

The food seller put away his dumb expression, narrowed his eyes, and walked over to Zhao Lanxiang's side. He asked abruptly, "Why are you looking at my brother Bai?"

This sentence sounded like thunder to her ears and surprised Zhao Lanxiang, who had been watching people with intent.

She turned her head to see that it was the young man who had sold food on the black market previously.

Fortunately, the young man's focus was not on this. He said happily, "I didn't expect to meet you here. It turned out that you lived in brother Bai's house. It is really a coincidence. Hey! I've been to brother Bai's house, but I have never seen you before."

Zhao Lanxiang said, "I am an educated youth on the brigade. The dormitory collapsed a short while ago, and now I live in the He family for the time being."

The food seller looked at her.

"You made the mung bean cake that was sold this morning? I knew it as soon as I saw you... After all, since when did He Songbai have this kind of craftsmanship? I used to persuade him to come and work with me. He refused and looked down on bad speculators like us! You're quite capable, and we can support my brother. I'm willing to help you sell things."

Zhao Lanxiang was a little surprised. When this young man mentioned He Songbai, he always said, "Brother Bai." His tone was natural and respectful, unlike the villagers in the village, who were scornful whenever they mentioned him.

It made Zhao Lanxiang have a good impression of this food-selling young man.

"The customers who bought duck meat from you last time come to my food stall every day to ask for your news. People have their necks craned waiting for you, this entire time, and you only gave vague words before; when will you sell it again? Er- take another jar for sale? I really saw a ghost last time. Was it really that delicious?"

Zhao Lanxiang laughed involuntarily. She had no long-term plan to make duck meat. "No, I will sell something else next time."

It's not that she didn't want to make money, but that when she sold duck meat last time, she hadn't paid attention and accidentally exposed her face. For personal safety, she will not make duck meat again shortly.

Besides, buying duck meat was not easy. Others would only buy one or two ducks at a time and would be satisfied, but she had bought a dozen pounds in one go. It was hard not to be eye-catching. Together with queuing in the marketing cooperative, which was also a problem. It depends on your luck whether or not you would be able to buy it. In this era with this kind of economy, where would there be so much meat for everyone to eat?

In summary, selling duck meat as a business would not be easy to accomplish, so Zhao Lanxiang decided not to make duck meat anytime soon.

Zhao Lanxiang smiled and asked, "Have you eaten yet?"

She led the food seller to the kitchen. The young man stared at the savory braised pork in the pot and swallowed. "You are pretty good, no wonder the duck meat sold out so fast that day. Can I have a bowl of rice?"