Chapter 66 - 79

Chapter 66

The next morning, Li Yao ate some rations and then went to check the flat lands in the valley.

This piece of flat land was at least a thousand acres, of which about 800 acres were planted with sweet potatoes. Although far less dense than artificial plantations, and the tubers were very small, she estimated that even at one-tenth the yield of artificial plantations, each acre could produce about 300 jin.

800 acres would yield 240,000 jin.

With over 1,000 villagers in He Wan village, each person could get about 160 jin on average.

Although not enough for every villager to last until next year's wheat harvest, with careful rationing, it would definitely be enough to get through the new year.

Of course, how to distribute these sweet potatoes - who gets them, how much each gets - needed careful consideration.

Compared to the sweet potatoes, the potatoes were far less, probably just over ten acres, estimated to yield about 5,000 jin.

Given the small amount, she decided not to distribute the potatoes to villagers, keeping them for her own family. The leftovers could be kept for seed potatoes, to plant on the barren mountains along with sweet potatoes next year.

Once there was a surplus, they could slowly promote wider planting.

After making a rough plan, Li Yao dug up some sweet potatoes and potatoes, then started gathering spices on her way back.

This place was at least 30 li from the village, deep in a valley, so even with several hundred able laborers in the village, transporting so many sweet potatoes back would not be easy.

They would need to build a road first, then use ox carts for transportation, in order to complete this task in the shortest time.

Otherwise if it dragged on too long, the sweet potatoes would spoil. And if other villages got word of this, they might want a share too.

After a whole day gathering spices, Li Yao arrived home before dark.

"Mother, weren't you going to be gone for a few days?"

"Something came up, so I came back early."

She looked in the kitchen, where He Xiaoya had already steamed some buns, but didn't seem to have started on any dishes yet. So she asked, "What are we eating for dinner tonight?"

"Um... I wasn't planning to make any dishes," He Xiaoya said. "I was thinking of just dipping the buns in some broth, and blanching some cabbage. That's enough."

Li Yao twitched her mouth.

She knew He Xiaoya wasn't being lazy, but frugal.

After all, they had been living off wild vegetables before earning money at home. Suddenly being able to eat their fill every day, even meat, was probably still an adjustment for her.

"Let's save the buns for tomorrow. Cook some rice instead, and I'll make a few dishes."

From her backpack, she took out two plump wild chickens and had Da Zhuang clean and prep them. Li Yao also peeled some sweet potatoes and potatoes.

"Mother, what are these?"

"I don't know, I dug them up in the mountains," Li Yao said casually. "But I tried them, you can eat them, and they taste pretty good."

Hearing they were edible, He Xiaoya's eyes lit up. Wang San'er and Wang Xiao Si also crowded around eagerly.

These days, nothing attracted people more than food.