Chapter 216 - 228

Chapter 216

Along the edge of the tall grass, Li Yao had spread a lot of sulfur powder beforehand, so it burst into raging flames.

Whoosh whoosh whoosh!

Taking advantage of the wind, the fire spread rapidly, almost instantly forming a surge of fiery waves.

The Barbarian soldiers who were still searching in the grass saw the huge fire rush towards them. One by one, they hastily fled forward, but of course they could not outrun the raging fire and were soon swallowed up by the fiery red flames.

Even those who were smart enough to run in the opposite direction with their heads down to cross the firewall were still burned all over, losing their hair and beards. And they were choked by the smoke, unable to open their eyes.

By the time they came to their senses, almost everyone was injured, and two unlucky ones were burned directly to death.

What made them even more desperate was that their leader was lying lifeless on the ground, and all their warhorses had disappeared without a trace.

"Quick, pull out the grass around and light bonfires!"

"There are many of our people nearby. We must not let her get away this time!"

....

One had to admit, the warhorses raised by the Barbarians were simply ferocious, with sturdy physique and tremendous strength when galloping.

It was just a pity they only had single saddles, which was a bit tiring to ride.

Li Yao found a lot of jerky and clear water, and ate her fill on horseback.

She knew even greater dangers lay ahead.

The big fire just now would surely attract more people to chase her. It was likely she had already been heavily surrounded.

If that was the case, tonight would undoubtedly be a fierce battle.

Or it could be said, a thrilling escape, while her opponents were the Barbarians extremely familiar with the grasslands.

Riding northwest, Li Yao galloped at full speed for about an hour before hearing horse hoofs in the distance.

So she immediately split up half of the warhorses and drove them west, while she led the other half to continue forward.

Luckily the nearby Barbarian squad all chased after the horses that went west.

But the peace did not last long before more sounds of horse hoofs approached from all around.

....

Inside the tents of the Daling Frontier Army, the soldiers had already entered to escape the piercing cold wind.

The officers in charge of the forward camp patrolled while stomping their feet to prevent them from getting stiff from the freezing cold.

Inside the main general's tent, Grand Marshal Xu was still holding a meeting with a group of deputy generals to discuss food supplies.

Currently there were only three days worth of rations left in the whole camp, and even less fodder for the horses, enough for just two more days. If no additional food supplies arrived, the whole army would have no choice but to retreat.

However, retreating was easier said than done.

The Barbarians had gathered a large number of troops up ahead, and there were also small elite squads constantly harassing the rear. Once they retreated, the main Barbarian army would surely attack them from both front and back.