Chapter 203 - 215

Chapter 203

Du Xiao Hui's heart thumped. She really hadn't planned this well. Auntie Li had a set of movable type printing at home. If she had brought it, not only could she have printed hundreds of books in these past few days, but even tens of thousands.

"I'm sorry, Auntie..."

"I'm not blaming you," Li Yao said. "I just want to remind you that with anything, you need to plan for the long term, not just take it step by step. After all, what you're doing now isn't a small thing, but a big one, big enough that all of Daling will change because of you in the future."

Du Xiao Hui was startled. "It's just running an academy. Is it really that impressive?"

"Don't underestimate yourself, and don't look down on the power of reading," Li Yao said. "Knowledge can change destinies, it can change the whole world, it can even create new history."

Du Xiao Hui didn't really understand, but she listened carefully. "Mm."

"Oh right," Li Yao smiled and asked, "You received so many silver coin donations today. How do you plan to spend it all?"

"This... of course it will all be spent on the essentials, on running the Yangming Academy well, and opening many more branches."

"You're not keeping any for yourself?"

"That money belongs to the academy. How could I take it for myself?"

"If you do the work, you should get paid for it," Li Yao said. "Pay yourself a wage too. Not too much, but not too little either."

Du Xiao Hui cautiously replied, "I understand, Auntie."

"From now on, hand over everything about the academy to you and Wang Er. If there's anything you don't understand, you can ask me."

...

The academy matter could be considered settled for the time being.

It was also an industry given to Wang Er and Du Xiao Hui.

As for how the academy would develop in the future, whether it would always take this path, or expand into some aristocratic schools or something, that would be a matter for the future.

There would be chances to slowly explore, the most important thing was to have ambition.

And the most urgent thing right now was the county exam that Wang Er would soon face.

That evening, the whole family gathered together, including the Song family couple.

The table was filled with dishes cooked by He Xiaoya, the aroma was mouthwatering, and showed she had gained seventy to eighty percent of Li Yao's skills.

But no one had started eating yet, because Prefect Song kept encouraging Wang Er and Song Zhe. Of course for Wang Er it was pure encouragement, but for Song Zhe there was more scolding.

He felt that this son really had no talent, and would definitely not pass the examination.

A father's expectation for his son to become a dragon, only for his son to be a worm instead — how agonizing this feeling of resenting iron not becoming steel was, only fathers who had been through this would fully understand.

"Sir, you really should stop with the lecturing, this is Miss Li's home."

"Cough cough, I overstepped," Prefect Song said. "Then I'll stop. You two, go rest early tonight, do your best tomorrow."