03: Old Face

Laswell was waiting at the base.

"Well done what have you learned?"

"Makarov is involved somehow." Laswell nods and looks at me.

"First mission?" I nod silently.

"Well, I'm Laswell. Nice to meet you," I slowly take her hand. I'm not a fan of touching others.

"Her name is Gisele, I'm Charlie, temporary." Charlie hums with a kind smile. The woman nodded and went back to the debriefing.

"Alright, we need to find where Makarov is."

'Let's check the other cartels and see if Makarov reached out to them.' I sighed to Charlie who spoke for me.

Weeks turn to months as leads from Makarov and the cartel seem to vanish overnight. We all waited for Laswell. We waited for our next mission.

The first month passed and we were left with very little on our hands. By the end of the first month, my voice came back.

"Hey, you should probably tell them why you're like this," Charlie nudges me. I look up to find everyone looking at me curiously. I sign and pull out a pen.

'I have the tism and the lalias.' I write it down.

"Tism? You mean autism?" Soap asked squinting at me.

"What does lalias mean?" Gaz's asked.

"Echolalia and Palilalia, which she means she repeats herself and others," Charlie explains.

"I see," Price smiles kindly, "you're just special."

Special.

It felt like an insult.

I am not unique millions of people have what I have. I'm simply part of the herd, I am the grass.

"She also has partial mutism that she can't really control." Charlie hums. The group slowly nods.

"Is that why you can't speak?" I nod and Soap only sighs.

"That must be hard, to live with."

I roll my eyes.

'It's all part of the autism.' I wrote it down.

"Really?" I nod.

'He's here to make sure I don't have an autistic meltdown.'

"So, you throw a tantrum? Like a child?" Ghost grunts. I turn to him, "That's brat behavior."

"Shut your mouth, colonizer," Charlie snapped his southern accent seeping into his words "It's not Flaca's fault she can't control it."

"Don't defend brat behavior"

"There's a complete difference between a tantrum and an autistic meltdown."

"If you say so," Soap hums but his tone gives it away to Charlie. They all see her as a brat.

Ghost had a chip on his shoulder since she arrived. He's silent about it, but Charlie clearly can see the annoyance in his gaze.

In Charlie's book, he could not be trusted with her breakdown.

ᔕᔕᔕ≼∴≽ᔕᔕᔕ

"Alright everyone, the next mission is in Mexico," Price begins. Charlie nudges me as we exchange looks.