27: Mind Break

We would move at dusk.

I don't like this.

I look at my group, Horangi, Ghost, and Roach. We were slowly moving in the forest. The snow crunching under our footsteps. I stick next to Roach. We were taking the right side as the other group took the left.

I don't feel so well.

This pain in my chest was still growing it was consuming me from the inside out. I wanted to run, but I can't. I need someone to tell me everything will be fine and mean it... But I know no one knows if it will be ok. We are doing the job that keeps the world safe.

I stayed back taking a well-hidden spot and picking off the enemies. As the other sweeps through the room taking out the other terrorist. We rake through all the room finding maps, and clues of where the missile is.

We storm into a room taking the terrorist by surprise. We took them out quickly. As the others case the room I move to the table. It was obscure by bullets. I push them away and stare down at the map. My blood runs cold, and my mouth drops open.

"Ghost!" I call out. He turns around and I gesture for him to come over. He looks down at this map his gaze shifting to me before he pulls at his radio.

"Price, we found a map," He states. I grab the map fold it up and begin to follow after Ghost and my team. We continue to storm the base making sure to get all the terrorists. We met up with Price groups at the stairs that lead to the basement.

As we descended the stairs my dread only grew. I felt my finger itch— my palms itch. My eyes darted around, I was looking for anything and everything. I look at the back of the heads of the men before me. They are all so tall— so... indomitable.

Everyone froze and Charlie turned around to me, his eyes screaming to run. I turned around and booked it. Behind the sounds of feet slamming against the ground. I ran as fast as I could, as the smallest person there, I was pushing it as far as I could.

Someone grabs onto me and slams me behind a tree. The scent of sweet woody musk hits me— Charlie's damn cologne. He grabbed my hands and put them around my ears. My hands helped muffle the sound, but the explosion was loud.

As I pull my hands away from my head they tremble. We could have— I was— So close! My eyes were wide, and I could feel my heart run a mile at that moment. I look over to see Charlie smiling like a maniac.

I'm not the type to seek out adrenaline or do extreme sports. That was way too close for comfort. the boost in adrenaline felt like poison running through my veins, like the wild hunt it screamed and caused chaos within me.

"C'mon kid you got this," Dayton said with a smile. His own M24 is close to him.

"Lieutenant, you said this be easy!" I whine looking at the older man. He frowns and rubs his chin.

"It is."

"For you! I'm not used to a moving target!" I grumble trying to recalibrate my aim. I check the wind, the distance of my, notebook, and slowly pull my gun up.

"Take it!" I let go of the trigger the gun slams into my shoulder, I groan as it presses uncomfortably on my bruise.

"Well done!" He cheers looking down at the fallen man.

"You might be a diamond in the rough, if you continue on this track, you might be in a special force team!" Dayton chuckles smacking my shoulder in a dad pat way.

I roll my eyes. And sit up, "you said this be easy." He turns to me semi-serious.

"I said it be less dangerous for my team."

"Oh, so I'm liable to die?" I ask sarcastically back arms folded.

The first day I met Lieutenant Dayton Draven and his task force 436 'The Cobras' as they nicknamed it was supposed to be easy.

"Kid!"

The sirens blaring loudly, as a red light flashes across the room. The sounds of gunshots ring loudly in my ears.

Dayton yells out cut through the commotion. Blood oozed from his chest and arm. He was stumbling— dying. I ran to him put his arm over my shoulder and haul him to a safe room.

This isn't supposed to happen! What happened? Where did we go wrong?

"Kid—" Dayton grunts out. I look at him my heart bounding with every might it has. The door burst open and men with bird crest waltz in. One raised his gun and shot Dayton.

It was slow in motion. The bullet tore through his flesh. It was like putty deforming his face as it ripped through. In a fraction, his eyes died, and blood sprayed out. The bullet it's the back of the wall and blood follows suit.

I froze. Blood... it's so red. Red red. I look over my body frozen. I'm not afraid of death— I'm afraid of dying. I don't want to die!

The man looked at me one pointed his gun at me, and I felt this strange wave this urge to laugh. I couldn't control it, it was all I could do, and I did. I laughed.

No no no no!

"Y/N!" I blink with a start and swing my head around. Tears roll down my face. Why now!

My eyes land on Charlie his dark eyes looking at me with concern and fear. "Hey, what happened?"

Don't look at me!

I scramble to my feet and run off into the forest. I ran as far as I could until my lungs burned from the cold dry air of winter Russia. My mind is like an empty pool deep and slopes, getting out was nearly impossible without some help!

Help!

Someone helps me!

I... I...

That wasn't my fault! We did everything right! I did everything right!

We're going to fail just like back them! This will start a war! World War Three will be our fault! My fault! Fuck! FUCK!

We're going to fail! We're going to fail! We're going to fail! We're going to fail! We're going to fail! We're going to fail! We're going to fail! We're going to fail!

"Fuck!" I felt the oppressive sensation of fear the long-forgotten sensation that rarely comes into my body. It bounds in my chest clawing at my soul.

I tore through the forest running as if the devil himself was chasing me. I ran until the forest tied a noose around my neck choking me out. I looked around the forest was pressing my lungs and suffocating me in the void of their fingers.