♢2 Sanatorium

My body hurts.

Every inch of my body ached. Even my bones hurt. The worst pain was in my torso and legs, they throbbed with deep tissue pain. My back hurts, it stings like I've been burnt. I felt like I was being crushed by gravity and at the same time I felt weightless, light.

My eyes open to a dark room, the blinds close but the sun still seeped into the room. My nose curled up as the scent in the air was bad, it smelled of molding sickness, of cleaning chemicals. I blink and even blinking hurt.

I moved my left arm and pain shot up my arm and a throbbing tickle set in. Like I did my first ever full body workout and expected to function the next day. I push myself up and let out a low whimper. On my left hand was an IV. I couldn't sit up; I was in the awkward position of sitting and lying down.

"Hey hey hey!" I turn slowly to see Charlie moving forward, "Slow down, you're too injured to sit up." He said warmly helping me lie down.

"What happened?" I spoke out but it came out as a whisper.

"You survive a close I counter explosion." He explained helping me lie down. "You lost your legs..."

"What?" I croaked, and a cold spine-twisting dread set in. I try to wiggle my toes but nothing, I try to roll my ankles nothing. My eyes dart to Charlie, fear and realization.

"Left leg is amputated above the knee and your right below the knee." I stared at him blankly. I close my mouth and swallow the lump in my throat.

I never considered losing a limb or limbs, I knew it was a thing that could happen to me. I know it was a higher risk for military members, I knew it could happen to me. I deemed it as something I could live with, but faced with this new revolution I was in denial. I sat there blankly; my legs were gone.

How do surreal.

"You, ok?" I looked over to Charlie who was reading my face.

"... I don't know," I answer honestly, at least it wasn't my arms... but still I had lost a part of me.

"You... we have a long journey ahead of us," I nodded blankly and stared at the ceiling lost in the future and pain.

"I'll pay for your prosthetic—"

"I can pay for it..." I see Charlie look at me before sighing.

"I'll pay for it, your family you're my responsibility," I felt myself creak a smile and I looked at him.

"... I want a cool-looking one," I said. He smiles his face lightening up, like an angel.

"Of course, look up the design you want and when I get back, we can make it all!" I felt my mood lifting. I had a little things to do now.

"... is König, ok?" I ask after a moment of thinking, I did lose my legs trying to protect that name.

"Yup, he should be out of surgery, got impaired by a few metal bars." I nod slightly and sigh.

Bzz Bzz.

Charlie pulled out his phone and sighed looking me in the eyes, "Gotta go, the mission is still on." I nod and he gets up kisses me on the forehead and walks out.

Hours passed in silence; the TV played lowly in the background. My computer on the bedside table scrolling through prosthetic design. I settle for several looks. The sleek black futuristic look and porcelain design. Those two stuck in my mind and it was comforting I would be so... pathetic.

Knock knock.

I look up to see a strange man, with a buzz cut standing there. He waved and walked in arms bandages. "Are you alright Maus?" I froze and looked at the man, he looked so... normal. He had shy gentle eyes.