Where The Roads Part

14 years after the birth of Thereya Targaryen

"I have to do it... I have to go... I will make sure that every man and woman in Westeros know what they did to her.." Thereya mumbled as her eyes watered while looking at her mother's body wrapped in cloth on the table.

The old Dornish lady, Mellei was in deep mourning for Lady Thirli mostly because of the years they spent together and the wisdom they shared since the day they met. "Do you believe in death child?" Mellei whispered.

"How can I not believe in something that's right before my eyes." Thereya's words were bitter. She hated Mellei's wisdom, she never understood it and always wondered why she didn't just say what was on her mind instead of speaking in riddles.

"It's hard to not believe in something you see every day. Isn't it?.." Dornish lady put her hands on Thereya's shoulders and stood behind her. Then she spoke. "Some stories need to end for the others to be written. It all just depends on who is the author of your story. Will it be you? Your blood? Your family? Your honor? Your-"

But Thereya cut her off right there. "My father.." She was only a young girl thirteen summers old but she already made some important decisions and will continue doing so by herself.

"The rogue prince. He said that it would be his firstborn child that would inherit what was left of him... I may never be Princess Rhaenyra's nor a son but I am his firstborn child. And his poor use of words will cost him that." She said in a stern tone.

Mellei was surprised by her boldness. She knew that Thereya was only a little girl wounded deeply by her mother's death and that she couldn't understand yet who her father was. Who she is. "It's not like you are going to see any man ride a dragon." Mellei smiled.

"Your words don't frighten me. They are the blood of a dragon just as I am. I will have a dragon." She replied. "For which you will have to burn a hand." Mellei insisted. "I don't care if I lose a hand as long as my enemies lose their heads," Thereya replied quickly.

"Very well then. You may do as you wish princess." Mellei walked slowly toward the door.

"You aren't coming with me are you?.." Thereya showed regret in her face.

"After you leave. Our paths will part." Mellei said with a soft reassuring smile and right after that, she left Thereya to say her last goodbye to her mother. Her body was gently wrapped in cloth and covered in oils and nice scents. There were a few dry flowers on top of her as well as Thereya's hand. A single tear dropped from her eye and the cloth absorbed the tear.

The night was long and painful. Four men dressed in yellow silk walked into the room and picked up the pile of wood and the body on top of it. Thereya moved out of the way and stood silently as they carried out her mother's body but was also quick to follow behind them.

They walked for some time in the silence towards the open sea. The only source of light they had to lighten their path was just a few touches and candles around the body.

When they arrived, Mellei was standing by the sea, she embraced Thereya into her arms as they placed Thirli's body onto the water. Mellei got on her knees and started to sing the songs for the dead. Thereya's tears kept pouring and rolling down her soft cheeks. She got into the ocean and started pushing the pile of wood and her body deeper into the water. Then when the water was to her waist height she set the pile on fire and gave it one last push before stepping out of the sea and watching it slowly disappear.

Thereya turned around and saw the old Dornish lady Mellei still on her knees, then approached her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Stop singing... The dead can't hear us." Thereya said in a low whisper.

She took off and walked back to the house. Mellei knew that Thereya was a smart girl, but oh immature she was and she yet has to grow and learn so much, Mellei thought then stood up and walked right after her.

That night Thereya stayed up all night, she was thinking about her journey that had yet to begin. She will have to go into the king's Landing and confront her father about his word and her existence. But fear of being left alone in this world crawled under her skin. She lost her mother due to the sickness and now she was going to lose the old lady Mellei by leaving her sick and old.

Another thought came up in her mind and that was Prince Daemon slitting her throat and blood pouring all over the red keep. There were so many scenarios rolling in her head and she was afraid, Gods knew she was terrified. One thing that separated her from the other men of the Westeros is that she was terrified and she still decided to do it. No fear or chain could hold Thereya back from doing what she knew was always right, and that's going home that she's just about to discover.

Then at the least expected moment, Mellei walked into the room. She smiled and sat down on Thereya's bed. "What are you-" Mellei tried to speak but Thereya cut her off.

"I don't want to lose you. I don't want to go but it's not right to stay." She said.

Mellei thought about that and while she was thinking she looked around the chambers, then a little mantis standing on the window caught her eye. "Did I ever tell you that... When I die I'm going to come back as one of those. The mantis." Mellei said smiling while pointing at the mantis.

"What?" Thereya sat up and squinted her eyes to see the mantis on the window.

"Yes. You heard me right. I'm going to come back as one of those. And follow you around everywhere, maybe even bite you a few times when you do something stupid. So do not fear losing me." Mellei said with a slight chuckle. Thereya smiled from the corner of her mouth.

"I will look forward to it" She replied while looking at Mellei. She stood up and started walking out of the room. "A friend of mine owns a carriage. He owed something to Thirli... He will pay the debt by delivering you to Kings Landing. And from then on, it is just you.." Mellei said just before walking out and leaving Thereya to her thought.

The other morning just at dawn the carriage was waiting for Thereya. It was nothing special just a small carriage with a skinny-looking horse and a few barrels. "Name's Idwan" A man in his early forties shook Thereya's hand.

"Thereya.." She smiled at him kindly.

"So this is it... Farewell.. Princess." The old lady Mellei reached in for a handshake but instead, Thereya pulled her into a long hug. "I will miss you.." Thereya whispered to Mellei loud enough only for her to hear.

"I know... I will miss you too... Dearly." When they pulled away Thereya fixed her posture and walked to the carriage trying to avoid getting too emotional. When she sat down in the back of the carriage her legs hanging out not touching the sand.

"When you arrive... Try to find my son... And seek his help. He will get you inside the Red Keep." Mellei shouted.

"What is his name!?" Thereya shouted back at the loud sound of a moving carriage.

"His name is Criston Cole! Or now... Ser Criston Cole!" Mellei shouted back. Thereya smiled softly as she watched Mellei slowly disappear in the distance. "I will find him.." She whispered to herself.

The day passed as they traveled in a hot desert and the sky was painted in stars once again. As Thereya lay down in the carriage and looked at the stars. She missed that Dornish village and the orange tree in her backyard she used to play under, but her hurtful thoughts were interrupted by a weird sound. She raised her head and saw a single mantis standing on the edge of the carriage. Thereya looked at the mantis happy as ever. But then her face slowly started to shift to worry as she looked up at the stars.

"I'm sorry..." Thereya said looking back at the mantis.