Among the Ashes

The Red Keep trembled beneath the weight of Ser Criston Cole's heavy footsteps, each echoing through the dimly lit halls. The clank of his armor resonated like a war drum, a foreboding rhythm that heralded his approach to the queen's chambers. Anger etched across his face, a storm of emotions that fueled his determined stride.

The air carried whispers of his discontent, mingling with the faint traces of ash and smoke lingering from a recent fire. Flames had danced in the hearth, casting flickering shadows that mirrored the turmoil within Ser Criston's heart. The red and gold banners adorning the walls seemed to bow in deference to the looming presence, their silk threads shivering in the wake of his passing.

Ser Criston Cole entered Queen Alicent's chambers, the heavy door groaning on its hinges behind him. The room was steeped in an eerie stillness, shattered only by the queen's wide-eyed gaze that met his entrance. Alicent sat on the edge of the bed, her regal demeanor marred by the disarray of her surroundings. The air carried the lingering scent of smoke, a haunting reminder of recent turmoil.

Her gown, once resplendent, now bore witness to the chaos that had unfolded. Its fabric whispered tales of a fiery ordeal, and the queen's tear-stained face betrayed the emotional toll exacted by the events.

Ser Criston's armor creaked as he approached, his gaze unwavering despite the weight of the situation.

"Your Grace," he spoke with a measured tone, the echo of his voice weaving through the tense atmosphere.

"The search for the bodies has been unsuccessful. The fire had consumed anything. There is nothing left for us to search for." Cole said with defeat and sadness in his voice.

Alicent's eyes, still swollen from weeping, searched Ser Criston's face for reassurance. "Have you found any clues, any hint as to who would commit such a heinous act?" Her voice trembled with a mixture of fear and desperation as if clinging to the hope that answers could somehow mend the wounds inflicted upon her.

The knight's expression remained stern, no matter how much his heart was broken at this very moment, "You and I both know who could have done that. But will the King listen?"

Silence fell in the room, "Sunfyre is still gone. He disappeared into the night sky. Vermax flew back. But Sunfyre hadn't returned yet. Whoever assassinated the Princess and your son, must have let the dragons out..."

"Sunfyre is gone? Where do you think he went?" Alicent's lower lip trembled as she asked.

"He could have gone to the edge of the world by now... We do not know..."

Alicent closed her eyes as she held her face in her hands, falling apart, she was sobbing again.

"How could you be so sure that Aegon was in those chambers with her last night?..." Alicent spoke, her voice hoarse.

Cole clenched his fist. "Prince Aegon was last seen leaving the feast with Princess Thereya..." His anger didn't allow him to grieve just yet.

"By who? Who was the witness of this?" Alicent finally raised her head to look into Cole's eyes, searching for any hope or answer.

"Daemon Targaryen..." He spat the words out like he had drank venom.

"Thereya Targaryen is dead..." Daemon said as he entered Rhaenyra's chambers.

Rhaenyra turned her head quickly as she heard her husband's words. She was holding Luke in her embrace, Baela, Rhaena, and Luke were present as well.

"It's not true..." Baela said. "My sister is not dead, she is no weakling, she must have been taken away or- or-" But Daemon quickly cut her off.