Never Turn Your Back

The maester carefully tended to Thereya's whipping wounds, applying soothing oils to ease the pain and promote healing. Alicent stood by her side, a quiet and protective presence as the maester worked.

After completing his examination, the maester turned to Alicent, offering a reassuring smile. "Both Aegon and Thereya are well," he informed, his tone carrying a note of professional confidence.

Alicent's expression softened with relief, a weight lifting from her shoulders at the confirmation of their well-being.

Meanwhile, Aegon stood in the corner, silently observing the maester's ministrations. His eyes, a mix of curiosity and gratitude, followed the skilled hands that tended to his cousins injuries.

As Helaena and Baela entered the room, Thereya's face lit up with a soft smile. "Hey," she greeted, the warmth in her voice reaching out to her sister and cousin.

Helaena, quick to respond, moved to Thereya's side and enveloped her in an embrace. Despite Thereya's attempt to hide a grimace of pain, she softly admitted "I missed you too," a sentiment spoken under her breath.

Helaena, her embrace filled with a mix of joy and concern, expressed her relief. "I'm glad you're back," she said, her words carrying a depth of emotion.

Baela, standing at the doorway, observed the scene in silence. There was a subtle nod exchanged between the sisters, a tacit understanding that spoke volumes.

Aegon remained a silent observer. His gaze lingered on Baela, who met his look but then averted her eyes, refocusing her attention on Thereya, so did Aegon.

As thoughts of the earlier encounter with Daemon lingered in Alicent's mind, she leaned over and whispered a quiet admonition to Thereya, "Be smart about it..." The weight of unspoken advice hung in the air as Alicent stood, glancing towards Aegon.

She started leaving the maester's room, shooting Aegon a pointed look, a silent indication that she expected him to follow. The air held a subtle tension, a prelude to a conversation that needed to happen.

Baela, standing in the corner, observed the exchange between Aegon and Alicent with a gaze that hinted at both curiosity and caution.

Aegon, catching Alicent's glance, received a subtle signal to follow her. The understanding between mother and son was conveyed through shared looks, the unsaid acknowledgment of the weighty matters that needed addressing.

Alicent's parting words, "Come to my chambers; we need to talk," hung in the air, emphasizing the weight of their impending conversation.

As Alicent and Aegon exited the room, Baela's eyes locked onto Aegon's. There was a silent exchange, a conversation conveyed through the intensity of their stares.

Aegon, momentarily captivated, met Baela's gaze before following Alicent down the corridor.

As Alicent and Aegon left the maester's room, Baela closed the door behind them, joining Thereya's side.

Meanwhile, as Aegon and Alicent traversed the corridor towards Alicent's chambers, they encountered another member of the family. Jace, on his way to the maester's room to visit Thereya, passed by them.

Aegon's and Jace's eyes locked, a charged exchange of glances that held more than 'met the eye'.

Jace, wearing a mocking smile, locked eyes with Aegon as he passed. The tension between the two was palpable, the air filled with the feeling of rivalry. Aegon, clenching his fists in frustration, chose to restrain himself, walking beside his mother with an annoyed expression.

The hallway, witness to the silent theatrics of family dynamics, echoed with unspoken tensions. Each encounter seemed to leave a trace of unresolved emotions they all held against each other.