Chapter 2 - Sudden Shift

"Get out of there, Shin!!" Kiana's frantic shout echoed in my ear.

"The Bronya has spotted the two idiots," a voice from my communicator earpiece deadpanned. "Fire."

Just as the Honkai beast moved closer to me, it suddenly had a gaping hole in its head and staggered before collapsing.

"Bronya!" Kiana exclaimed, relief evident in her voice.

"The Bronya will be on her way to Mei-senpai. Please proceed with caution, you two idiots," the voice advised.

Kiana and I exchanged glances, both slightly annoyed by the repeated use of the term "idiots."

"You don't have to repeat that! We're on our way to the Selene!" Kiana retorted.

"Hello? Ahh, I finally got through!" Himeko's voice chimed in through the earpiece.

"Himeko!"

"You two are seriously so reckless, especially you, Kiana," Himeko scolded.

"S-Sorry," Kiana replied sheepishly.

"More importantly, I hacked through the battle drone, so I will be controlling it toward the Selene.

"Thank you, Himeko-sensei," I expressed my gratitude through the earpiece.

"No worries~ Now, get going."

"Yes!" Kiana and I replied in unison as the battle drone drew closer, and with a synchronized leap, we landed on top of the Selene, moving forward with our mission.

"Hm? It's Mei-senpai," I noticed, watching as Mei gracefully sliced through the zombies one by one.

"Mei-senpai!" Kiana's enthusiasm was palpable as she rushed toward Mei, embracing her from behind. "Mei-senpai~~"

"K-Kiana-chan? And... Shin-kun?" Mei appeared pleasantly surprised.

"Hello," I greeted her with a nod.

"It seems it's just us here. Where's Bronya-chan?" Mei inquired.

"She's probably inside already."

"The Bronya is scanning the area... Please be cautious of traps. Enemies have a tendency to emerge at crucial moments like these. Bronya will neutralize the defense system," Bronya's voice came through the earpiece.

"We'll go with you," I responded.

"Get here," Bronya instructed.

"Roger."

Kiana, Mei, and I exchanged determined looks, nodding in unison. Together, we carefully navigated past the traps and made our way inside, Though it was not easy.

As we reached the aft of the ship, two sudden Templar-class Houkai beasts materialized before us. However, to our surprise, the two creatures fused together, transforming into a new, unfamiliar type of threat.

"What is that thing..." I murmured, a sense of unease settling over me.

Kiana, Mei, and I gathered ourselves, and Mei, the voice of reason, urged, "Kiana, Shin, focus... We'll use a team strategy and avoid attacking recklessly."

"Yes, Mei-senpai!" Kiana and I responded in unison.

We positioned ourselves strategically as I moved to the left side of the Houkai beast, Kiana to the right, and Mei took a battle stance in the middle.

"Let's do this!" Mei signaled, and I engaged first, drawing the creature's attention to me.

The Houkai beast charged in my direction, and I leaped, slashing at it and dodging its retaliatory strikes. Meanwhile, Kiana circled around us, shooting at the creature.