Chapter 24 - End of the Line (2)

The sands beneath my feet blurred as I sprinted back to where Mei, Kiana, and Wendy were waiting.
The remnants of honkai beasts and zombies lay defeated, evidence of their swift teamwork.

"Shin!" Kiana's voice reached my ears as they noticed my approach.

"Mei-senpai! Kiana!" I called back, my voice carrying a mix of urgency and relief.

"What happened to Bronya?" Mei's concern was palpable.

"She will be fine now... but Principal Theresa..." My words trailed off, and my gaze shifted back to the direction I had just come from. "I have to get back there, I'm not joking because there's a lot of them surrounding her!"

Gently, I laid Bronya down on the sands, ready to dart back into the fray.

"Don't be reckless! Major Himeko is coming!" Mei's grip tightened on my arm as she attempted to anchor me.

"Let me go, Mei-senpai... I have to go back." I shot her a determined glare, and she immediately released her hold, a hint of fear flickering in her eyes.

"I-... have to go now," I stammered, swiftly turning away and resuming my sprint.

"Shin!" Kiana's voice echoed behind me, pulling me to a stop.

I looked back at them, and Kiana continued, "I leave everything to you! Because I... We believe in you!"

A smile tugged at my lips as I soaked in their trust. "Of course!" I turned away, facing the path ahead, and raced back toward to where I came from.

As I distanced myself from them, their voices faded, and the chaotic sounds of battle grew louder. The path ahead was fraught with uncertainty, but their trust fueled my resolve.

As I reentered the battlefield, a voice echoed through my mind, unmistakably Tsurugi.

"Oh? Starting to get cool, aren't we?" Tsurugi's words resonated within.

"I'll be expecting your help too," I replied mentally.

"Hmph, go die."

"That's slightly... rude?"

"Shut up."

"Haahhh... You really should be honest."

As I approached the chaos, a strange stillness fell over the area. The usual chaos and clashes had silenced, and I instinctively tightened my grip on the hilt of my blade.

"Oh? You came back?" The voice of a mature woman cut through the silence. She revealed herself—a figure with the same haircut as Bronya, clad in a green slit dress, and a flowing white cape. Sharp eyes locked onto mine, a hostile glare searing through the air. "You... Who are you?"

Without hesitation, I drew my blade. "Woman... Are you the one who did this? As well as Bronya?"

"Hmph, and what if I a—" Before she could finish her sentence, I lunged forward, slashing with precision to cut her down. However, a sudden intervention blocked my attack—a formidable mecha positioned itself between us, absorbing the strike.

She gracefully retreated, a hint of amusement in her voice. "Oh?"

"That means you're one of my enemies."

"Enemies? Don't be ridiculous."

"You're the ridiculous one here!" I charged toward her again, determined to land my blows. However, a swarm of mechas emerged, intercepting and countering my every move.

"Tch, there's too many of them..."

The realization struck—Principal Theresa had been compromised.

"Oh? Are you worried about Theresa Apocalypse?" She stood atop the head of a central mecha, surveying the battlefield with a smirk.

"What did you do to her?" I demanded, my voice edged with concern and anger.

The woman merely smirked, her eyes gleaming with mischief as she reveled in the chaos around us. With a snap of her fingers, mechas emerged and seized Theresa by her arms, rendering her unconscious.

"Principal!!"

My desperate cry echoed, but there was no response. She lay there, limp and unresponsive.

"No matter what you do, she will not wake up."

"No matter... what?"

"Indeed... No matter what."

A heavy weight settled in my chest, and I felt frozen, unable to comprehend the despairing words that hung in the air.

Was it my fault?

The guilt clawed at me.

If only I hadn't left her here, none of this would have happened. Haha...

Hahahahahahahahaha!! I'm too pathetic.

I see.

In the end... I was nowhere near my best.

Just then, the skies darkened, and the surroundings shifted, becoming encircled by thousands of swords thrusting upwards from the ground.

"Wha- What the..?!" The woman was visibly shocked as everything around her plunged into darkness. She looked at me with disbelief, muttering to herself, "Who... are you?"

A surge of power coursed through me. I felt my hair elongate and change into a vibrant shade of pink. Heat enveloped my senses, and my eyes transformed into a deep crimson. My outfit shifted, morphing into a haori, and three katanas materialized at my waist – one pink, one violet, and one red.

As I looked up, I raised my right arm and snapped reality into imagination, the surroundings now filled with a sea of swords, creating an awe-inspiring spectacle.

The woman's eyes widened in astonishment, her composure crumbling, "What kind of illusion is this?"

"Hehehe... This isn't an illusion. This is my domain."

I spoke with a mysterious tone, my voice echoing in a mix of both genders.

Welcome... to my domain.