Chapter 14 - Lesson Learned

The rhythm of our clash intensified as we continued exchanging blows. I focused on evading and sidestepping, seeking an opening, while Fu Hua seamlessly deflected and blocked each of my strikes.

I tried to feint a slash, hoping to catch her off guard, but Fu Hua effortlessly read my move, parrying my strike with precision. She swiftly countered with a series of rapid blows. I barely managed to dodge, her strikes grazing past me, but one hit landed, sending me stumbling back.

"Ugh!" I gritted my teeth, feeling the force of her blow.

I regained my stance, focusing on my breathing, trying to regain my composure. "Guess... I need to step up my game."

Fu Hua's gaze remained fixed on me, her stance unwavering. "Bring it on."

I charged in, but as I closed the distance, Fu Hua's hands glowed with intense energy. Three fiery orbs materialized in front of me in rapid succession.

"Gah!" I managed to slice through the first orb, but before I could evade the others, they exploded, sending me staggering to the side.

Before I could recover, Fu Hua was right beside me, launching a barrage of strikes. Her punches and kicks landed with precision, sending me reeling in pain as I struggled to keep my balance.

"Ugh!" The blows hit hard, knocking the air out of my lungs as I crashed to the ground, gritting my teeth against the pain.

What the hell?! Is she even a human at this point?!

I rose to my feet, blood dripping, and kept my gaze downcast. Suddenly, time seemed to slow around me, and a commanding yet assertive voice echoed.

"What a foolish sword you wield... Are you letting yourself be beaten on purpose? A masochist, perhaps?" The voice belonged to a girl with vibrant pink hair. She stood in front of me, touching my sword. "You have talent with a sword, yet you can't wield it properly. I feel sorry for you, so I'll help. I'll let you borrow..."

"Sakura no Tetsu Hana."

As she spoke those words, my sword transformed into a radiant pink. She smiled at me, and then time resumed. I felt a newfound lightness as I gripped the sword.

"Stance of the Ghostly Blade."

A surge of killing intent coursed through me, and I dashed toward Fu Hua. She widened her eyes and attempted to block with her arms, only to be met with a slash on both, not too deep but enough to sting.

"Tch! The killing intent was just a show?! I was careless. Plus... his sword changed." Fu Hua stepped back, taking a defensive stance. "What just happened?"

On the sidelines, Kiana exclaimed, "His sword changed just now! At this rate, she'll get beaten up by Shin!"

"How did that change?" Mei asked, tapping her chin in confusion.

"Shin... Who are you?" Bronya questioned, staring at me and my transformed sword.

Back in the duel, I addressed Fu Hua, "Are you ready for round 2?" as I assumed my stance.

"Somehow the aura around you changed... But what changed?"

I leaned in and whispered in Fu Hua's ear from behind, "Maybe... I'm just too fast for you now?"

Fu Hua immediately launched a sweep kick behind, but I wasn't there anymore.

"What's wrong? Something in the air?"

"You...? I..."

"That can't be good... Are you perhaps sick? Knowing that you're sick... I guess it can't be helped." I was already moving to slash her, "Let me send you to the clinic."

Fu Hua didn't move, but instead, she controlled her ki from her hands and went for a seven-fist combo. A fist hit my solar plexus, then my nose, my face, and lastly... My neck.

I felt it all in just one second as I fell to the ground unconscious.

"Hmph..." Fu Hua turned around and walked away from the arena.

The arena erupted in cheers and whistles.

In the end... I didn't win after all. It all happened so fast that I couldn't see her fists.

I slowly opened my eyes, finding myself lying on a comfortable bed. The ceiling above me seemed unfamiliar. "Where am I?"

As I sat up, I noticed the room was tidy and serene, with soft sunlight streaming through the window. There were various medical instruments neatly arranged on a nearby table.

"Finally, you're awake," a gentle voice echoed from the corner of the room. I turned to see a woman with long, silver hair tied in a bun, dressed in a white lab coat. "You're at Schicksal's medical facility."

"Schicksal?" I muttered, trying to recollect what happened.

"You pushed yourself too hard during your assessment." The doctor approached and checked my vitals. "You were in a duel with Fu Hua and passed out. You've been unconscious for a while."

"I lost..." I mumbled, disappointment evident in my voice.

"Don't be so hard on yourself," The nurse smiled kindly.

"You faced an A-Rank Valkyrie. Few can withstand her prowess. But you showed great potential."

I glanced around, noticing familiar faces in the room. Bronya, Mei, and Kiana were sitting nearby, looking relieved that I had regained consciousness.

"Are you feeling alright, Shin?" Bronya asked concern etched on her face.

"I'll be fine," I replied, managing a weak smile.

"It's good to have you back," Mei chimed in.

"Yeah, we were worried," Kiana added with a grin.

I nodded, "Thanks, everyone."

The doctor continued her examination, ensuring I was recovering well. As the conversation carried on, I couldn't shake off the sense of defeat. But I knew this experience would only make me stronger.

After days of recovery, life went back to the usual routine of studying alongside Bronya, Mei, and Kiana. But soon, the much-dreaded day arrived: the Exam Day.