Chapter 44 - It's just a Cafe

After a few hours, Mei and I found ourselves standing outside the designated café. The bustling atmosphere and the number of patrons inside made it seem like an ordinary, popular spot.

"It's too innocent to be suspicious."

"Yeah... Perhaps it's just a regular café," Mei agreed, her brow furrowing in confusion.

I sighed, scratching my head. "What is Principal Theresa thinking, sending us here of all places?"

"Anyway, how about we check it out?" I suggested.

"I agree," Mei replied.

We joined the line and patiently waited our turn. After a few minutes, we were finally seated at a table.

While perusing the menu, I observed that the café appeared quite normal in terms of its interior and food options.

"It's very ordinary," I remarked.

Mei seemed lost in thought, her attention momentarily drifting away. "Mei-senpai?" I called out, bringing her back to the present.

"Huh?! Y-Yes?" She snapped back, slightly flustered.

"Are you okay, Mei-senpai?"

"Ah, sorry about that. I'm fine."

"Pfft~ I bet you got distracted by the menu, didn't you? Would you like to order something?"

"Eh? Really?" Her eyes lit up.

"Yeah, My treat."

"Then, I'll take that offer, if you don't mind..."

And so I raised my hand, "Waitress~"

"Coming~"

A waitress dressed in a maid outfit emerged from behind the counter, holding a notepad and pencil. She smiled warmly as she approached our table.

"What would you like to order, ma'am? sir?" she asked politely.

"We'll have two slices of cheesecake and..." I glanced at Mei-senpai, silently asking for her input.

"And... two cups of black coffee, please," Mei finished my order with a smile.

The waitress seemed surprised. "Eh? That's it?" she questioned. "Uhm, Ma'am? Sir? Aren't you a couple? How about I recommend two of our specialty desserts for couples? We have our signature heart-shaped chocolate cake with two spoons, perfect for sharing."

Mei and I exchanged a glance before chuckling softly. "That sounds lovely, actually. Let's go with that," Mei suggested with a nod.

"Eh?! Mei-senpai!?"

"Heehee~ Coming right up~" Haahhh... Go kill yourselves and explode normies. The waitress jotted down our order and hurried back to the counter.

HEY! I HEARD THAT!

As Mei and I waited for our order, I found myself pondering about the specialty dessert the waitress had recommended.

The café exuded a cozy ambiance, filled with the delightful aroma of freshly brewed coffee.

"It must be something special if she suggested it for couples," Mei remarked, echoing my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm curious to see what it looks like..."

...

"But Mei-senpai, why did you agree to the specialty dessert instead of declining it?"

"Eh? I-I mean... It's not a bad idea, right? Plus, it's your treat!"

"...Mei-senpai, your face is red, you know?"

"Eh?" Mei's face flushed as she immediately covered it with her hands, looking down. "D-Don't look at me."