Chapter 12 - Preparing For The Worse

After my mission with Rita, I returned to my dorm and went to sleep. When I woke up at 9 AM, I was surprised that Bronya hadn't woken me. I wondered if she had somehow sensed that I was out on a mission last night.

Regardless, I was grateful for the good night's sleep.

I decided to wash my face and headed toward the bathroom. But as I opened the door, I was greeted by an unexpected sight—Bronya was in the bathroom, taking a shower.

My mind went blank as our eyes locked, and I quickly closed the bathroom door. "It's not what you think!" I stammered.

"FIRE!!!" Bronya immediately pointed her arm toward me and commanded, and her Bunny19C fired lasers. It seemed she thought I was intruding on her privacy.

"IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK!!"

After the commotion settled, I took the chance to explain everything to her. When Bronya finished her shower and walked out of the bathroom, she was still covered in a towel. She looked at me with a disdainful expression.

"So you just wanted to wash your face?" she asked her expression one of slight disgust.

"Yes, ma'am," I replied, hoping to convey my innocence.

"...I see. So did you see?" Bronya's tone turned serious as she scrutinized me.

"Huh? See what?" I asked, puzzled by her question.

Her expression turned even more intense as she aimed her Bunny19C in laser mode, ready to fire. I felt a surge of panic. "I didn't see anything, I swear!"

"Really...?" she continued to stare at me, seemingly unconvinced.

"Yes, Ma'am! Plus, I am not interested in flat chests!" After all, I'm more interested in Mei-senpai's!

...Wait what did I just say?

Bronya's gaze intensified, and her expression became a mix of disgust and anger. "Huh?"

"NOTHING MA'AM!"

Somewhere in the future, Bronya Zaychik was working on her anime when she suddenly sneezed. "Someone's talking ill about me," she muttered to herself.

"Anyway, next time knock on the door."

"Yes, ma'am," I said, feeling the weight of the situation.

"By the way, Shin, do you know what's happening next week?"

"Hm? Is it... the Valkyrie Exam?"

"Correct. I was hoping I could help and review you, but..." Bronya trailed off, her hand resting on her chest.

"I think I changed my mind."

"No, ma'am! I-it's not what you think! You're the only savior I have here!" I quickly reassured her.

"Oh? What about Mei-oneesan?" she questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"...You're right, but..." The last time I had her help me with an exam, it had been a nerve-wracking experience. Every time I faltered on her practical quiz, she would flash a terrifying oni face behind her smile.

I quickly bowed before Bronya and pleaded, "Please, Bronya-sama! Bless me with your unparalleled wisdom and knowledge! Lend me your brilliant mind!"

She regarded me with a sigh, her patience wearing thin. "Fine... Let's go the library."

"Really!? Oh, Bronya-sama, your kindness knows no bounds!"

"HOMU."

...