Chapter 37 - Full Potential

"The 12th Herrscher..." I began, my voice trailing off as I turned to see Yae Sakura standing before us, her face concealed behind a fox mask. "Are you perhaps the 12th Herrscher... Miss Yae Sakura?"

Yae remained silent, her expression unreadable as she slowly drew her katana from its sheath, the blade gleaming ominously in the dim light of the cave.

"So you're not gonna say something, huh..." I muttered, feeling a sense of unease settling over me.

"S-Shin! What's going on? Why is Miss Yae acting like that!" Kiana's voice trembled with uncertainty as she looked to me for answers.

"It's the power of corruption," Kika interjected, her voice tinged with gravity. "The Herrscher of Corruption."

Kiana's eyes widened in realization as she turned to Kika, her expression filled with dread. "What do you mean by that?"

Kika sighed heavily, her gaze fixed on Yae Sakura. "It's a power that consumes its host, twisting their thoughts and emotions until they are consumed by darkness."

"Is that what happened to Miss Yae?" Kiana's voice wavered with concern.

Kika nodded solemnly. "I fear so. And if she's the 12th Herrscher, then she poses a grave threat to us all."

Kiana's eyes widened in horror as she took in the severity of the situation. "So... what do we do?"

I swallowed hard, steeling myself for what needed to be done. "We'll have to stop her, whatever it takes. Even if it means killing her... Is what you wanted me to say."

"Huh?! Are you an idiot? The only mission is to retrieve the 12th Divine Key!" Kika's voice rang out, filled with frustration and disbelief.

"I know that, but I already accepted someone's favor to save her from her emotions," I replied firmly, my resolve unwavering.

"You have the guts to defy the mission briefing," Kika said, her gaze piercing as she glared at me.

"Say whatever you like, but I will not kill Miss Yae."

"I agree with Shin too," Kiana chimed in, her voice resolute as she took a stance with her Kata Gun Style. "Seeing Miss Yae cook us some meal, preparing the mattress for us... It's unacceptable! I'll save her too!"

"You two..." Kika sighed, her expression softening slightly as she regarded us. "Do whatever you like. I'll be taking the 12th Divine Key."

With that, Kika turned on her heel and strode purposefully toward the shrine, leaving Kiana and me to face Yae Sakura alone.

Just as I was prepared to engage, Yae Sakura disappeared before us, and a sense of urgency surged within me.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to take this," she said as we turned toward the shrine, standing beside the 12th divine key.

"Haahh? Do you want to die that badly? Very well," Kika retorted, her determination evident as she aimed her laser cannons at Yae Sakura. But before she could fire, Yae Sakura effortlessly absorbed the lasers with a raise of her arm.

"Oh? So that's the power of corruption, huh," Kika remarked, her smirk undeterred as she continued to fire. However, Yae Sakura swiftly closed the distance between them, delivering a devastating uppercut followed by a powerful kick that sent Kika crashing to the ground.

"Ack!"

"Kika!" I blinked toward Yae and clashed blades with her. "Kiana, get Kika back!" I called out, my focus on keeping Yae Sakura occupied while Kiana rushed to aid Kika.

"Miss Yae Sakura! I'm sorry, but I won't back down," I declared, channeling all my strength into my blade as I knocked her back with a powerful strike.

Yae Sakura staggered but quickly regained her footing, her determination shining through as she retaliated with a flurry of kunai. With swift reflexes, I deflected the projectiles, my focus unwavering as I prepared for her next move.