Chapter 23 - End of the line (1)

In the pursuit of Wendy, we finally closed the gap, but her demeanor reflected the turmoil within her.

"All of you don't know when to give up. I have to teach you a lesson!" Wendy declared, her voice laced with frustration.

"Hey, that's my line!" Kiana retorted, her voice resolute.

"Wendy, please trust us. You're not yourself. Honkai is misleading you," Mei urged, her tone soft but determined.

However, as Kiana prepared to act, Bronya stepped forward, gently stopping her in her tracks.

"What are you doing, Bronya!? Get out of the way!" Kiana exclaimed, frustration evident in her voice.

"Wait, subject Kiana. Bronya wants to talk to subject Wendy," Bronya requested, her tone calm but unwavering.

"No! Stop! I don't want to talk with you, Bronya!" Wendy snapped, gritting her teeth in frustration.

Undeterred, Bronya addressed Wendy, her voice carrying an unexpected warmth and empathy.

"Bronya remembered a younger sister named Seele back in the orphanage. Subject Wendy reminds me of her. Seele was strong and kind, like subject Wendy. Seele was corrupted by Honkai, but she fought hard and got herself back. Bronya endured a lot of pain during the modifications... and still suffers to this day... But there is hope. Bronya understands subject Wendy's pain. Bronya knows subject Wendy can overcome this pain. Do not give up. Bronya believes in you."

After a moment of silence, Wendy nodded, her eyes welling up with tears.

"I... I trust you, too, Bronya..." She started crying out of nowhere as she floated down the ground, "All right! I'll give myself another chance!"

Since when did she get energetic?

"That's a relief..." I exhaled, a sense of hope rekindling within me.

"Great! Wendy came back to us," Mei said with a warm smile.

"Pfew. That was really close. Alright, back to the Hyperion. We're all kick-ass Valkyries. If you get controlled by Honkai again, I'll defeat you in no time," Kiana remarked with a playful grin.

"I'll knock that head of yours instead."

As we prepared to head back to the Hyperion, Bronya assured Wendy. "Don't worry, subject Wendy. Bronya will take you home."

"Bronya, can I sit on your robot again? Can I?" Wendy asked with a hopeful expression.

Bronya nodded with a warm smile. "No problem. Project Bunny: activate!"

Looks like I'll be taking a rest in the dorm, huh... That's great.

But the moment of peace was short-lived. As Theresa tried to communicate with Major Himeko, a chilling interruption hijacked the comms.

"Bronya, your Matushka commands you to recover the 4th Herrscher. The 4th Herrscher is an important test subject. We can't let Schicksal get hold of her. We must destroy her if we can't get her back."

The chilling authority in the voice paralyzed Bronya. "N-No!!"

Bronya resisted, but an unseen authority took over, forcing her into a menacing transformation.

By the highest level of authority: Project Bunny, switch to attack mode. Target: 4th Herrscher.

Wendy was thrown to the ground, as Wendy was about to face an imminent attack from Project Bunny. I didn't hesitate to step in, intercepting Project Bunny's attack, my katana straining against the force. "Wake up! Bronya!!