Chapter 43 - The Start of Lovey-dovey

A few weeks following our vacation, Mei and I received an unexpected call from Principal Theresa, summoning us to her office.

"Ah, you two are here. Please, take a seat," Theresa greeted us warmly, gesturing towards the sofa.

Curious yet cautious, Mei and I exchanged glances before complying with Theresa's request.

"So, how have you both been?" Theresa inquired her tone light but purposeful.

"We've been well, thank you," Mei replied politely, though a hint of anticipation lingered in her voice.

"You don't have to be polite around us, Principal Theresa."

Theresa chuckled softly before getting down to business. With a flick of her finger, Theresa activated the tablet on her desk and turned it towards us, revealing the contents of the mission briefing.

"A pretend mission?" Mei remarked as she scanned the information displayed on the screen.

"Yes, precisely," Theresa confirmed with a nod. "I need the two of you to act as a couple for this assignment."

"A couple."

Theresa's expression remained composed, her demeanor serious yet tinged with a hint of amusement. "Yes, that's correct. It's crucial for this mission."

Perplexed, I voiced our concerns. "But why choose us for this role? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to send in a real couple?"

Theresa leaned back in her chair, her fingers intertwined in contemplation. "You two have demonstrated exceptional teamwork and rapport in the past. Your chemistry makes you believable as a couple, which is essential for blending in without arousing suspicion."

"Besides, Shin, if the public were to discover that you're dating someone like Bronya, it could create unnecessary complications." I'll get branded as a lolicon.

"And what about Kiana? Shouldn't she be involved in this mission as well?"

A shadow crossed Theresa's features briefly, hinting at an unspoken complexity. "Kiana... That's a different matter altogether. For now, I need you two to focus on this assignment."

"I'll accept this," Mei declared, her tone resolute.

"Eh?! Mei-senpai?"

"What's the matter?"

"Are you really serious about this?"

"Yeah."

"I see..." I sighed, realizing that Mei had made up her mind. "In that case, I'll accept this mission as well."

"Very well, you two," Theresa interjected, "We believe that Anti-Entropy is involved in this, so be careful."

Mei and I exchanged nods before exiting the principal's office. We silently continued down the hallway until I decided to break it.

"Mei-senpai... Do you have any experience with dating?"

"Hmm? No, not really. I've spent most of my time training with swords and cooking food for everyone."

"A girlfriend material, huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, it's just something Bronya mentioned once."

"Fufu~ It seems you're starting to be influenced by Bronya's words, aren't you?" Mei teased, a playful glint in her eyes.

"By the way... Are we heading to the target destination now?" I inquired, breaking the silence between us.