Chapter 40 - Another Recovery Day

As I slowly regained consciousness, my surroundings came into focus, revealing a familiar ceiling above me. "Hm... This scenario feels oddly familiar... Does that mean..."

Beside me, Overseer Theresa lay sleeping, her serene expression softened by the gentle light filtering through the window.

"Uhm... Okay, maybe it's not the familiar scenario I'm expecting."

Just then, Theresa began to stir, blinking sleepily as she turned her gaze towards me.

"Good morning?"

"Don't 'good morning' me... Do you have any idea what you just did?" Theresa's tone was stern, tinged with concern.

"Yeah... I think?" I replied sheepishly, unsure of how to respond.

"Hahh... You nearly got yourself zombified, you know!?"

"Sorry, Overseer Theresa..."

"Well, it's fine. At least we managed to secure the 12th divine key."

"And where's Kiana and Kika?"

"Kika?" Theresa's eyes widened in surprise. "Kiana's resting in the other room, but... who's Kika?"

"Eh? I thought... I..." My words trailed off as I struggled to recall.

Before I could ponder further, Fu Hua entered the room. "Oh, you're awake," she greeted, her voice calm but with a hint of relief.

Eh?! W-What's with those scratches and bruises?!

"Class Monitor... You're also injured?!" My concerned voice broke through the haze of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I arrived late and saw you and Kiana surrounded by honkai beasts and zombies, I'm fine this is just normal for valkyries to get injuries.."

"I see... but what about Ki-" I began to inquire, but Fu Hua cut me off.

"Shin, I believe you have visitors," she interjected, gesturing towards the door.

"Eh? Visitors?" I echoed, surprised by the sudden interruption.

Fu Hua nodded as she stepped aside, allowing two familiar faces to enter the room.

"Wendy? Bronya?" I exclaimed, my surprise evident as Wendy and Bronya stepped forward. Without hesitation, Wendy lunged toward me, enveloping me in a tight hug.

"Shin! I'm glad you're alright!" Wendy's voice was filled with genuine relief as she embraced me.

"Urgk! W-Wendy! Y-You're choking me!" I gasped, struggling to breathe amidst her enthusiastic hug.

"Oi... Don't forget that I'm still here!" Bronya's deadpan remark drew our attention, reminding us of her presence.

"Ahahaha~ Please help me, I'm actually getting choked!"

"Sorry, Shin!" Wendy exclaimed, releasing me from her embrace with an apologetic smile.

"It's alright, Wendy," I replied, taking a deep breath as I regained my composure. "I'm just glad to see you both here."

Bronya nodded in acknowledgment, her expression softening ever so slightly. "The Bronya received a word about your condition and rushed here as soon as we could."

"Thank you, both of you."

"Yeah, The Bronya couldn't bear the thought of losing you..."

My eyes widened as I locked gazes with Bronya, a rush of emotions swirling within me. "Bronya..."

Bronya returned my gaze, her expression softening ever so slightly, a hint of warmth in her eyes.

Before our silent exchange could continue, Kiana's voice broke through the moment with a loud cough. "Wow, can't you two just go explode already!?" she exclaimed, accompanied by Mei's laughter.

"Kiana! You're fine! What about your head!? Is it injured!?"

Kiana smirked, her usual confident demeanor shining through. "Of course, because I'm not weak... Wait, why are you worrying about my head!?"

"Oh?" Mei chimed in, her smirk growing wider. "Let's not forget about an hour ago when you were scared of getting shots."

"Mei-senpai! Don't say that!" Kiana protested, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

Mei chuckled as she approached me, setting a lunch box on the bedside table. "Here you go, I prepared it for you. Please recover as fast as you can," she said with a gentle smile.

"Thank you, Mei-senpai," I replied gratefully, touched by her thoughtfulness.

"Now now, enough everyone," Theresa intervened, her authoritative tone cutting through the chatter. "Let's leave him alone for now so he can take some time to rest and recover."

Her words carried a sense of finality, prompting everyone to nod in agreement. With gentle smiles and well wishes, my friends began to file out of the room, leaving me to rest in peace.

"With that said..." I immediately grabbed the lunchbox that Mei had prepared for me, excitement bubbling within me. I eagerly opened it, revealing not one, not two, but three boxes. "Ohh~ This is incredible!" (The 3-tier bento)

I eagerly examined each box, revealing a delicious assortment of food.

The first contained fluffy rice, the second a savory miso soup, and the third a mouthwatering combination of karaage and omelette. "Oh wait, there's also a drawing here made out of ketchup, Is this Bronya's face?"

Now then... Time to eat.

With that, I settled into my bed, savoring each mouthful of the delicious meal Mei had prepared. As I ate, I allowed my body to relax, feeling the fatigue from the recent events slowly ebb away.