Chapter 16 - The Perfect Duo (1)

In a split second, I seized the initiative, launching a barrage of slashes at Rita. Unlike her usual playful demeanor, she danced around, sidestepping and leaping back, occasionally attempting to pat my head with a teasing grin.

"Are you underestimating me?" I panted, feeling the strain.

"Oh? I never doubted your strength. I've seen what you're capable of against Fu Hua," Rita said, her smile unwavering.

Weakness still echoed within me, but I tightened my grip on the sword, determined. I took a focused stance.

"Getting serious, are we? I'm eager to see what you're made of, Master," Rita teased, swinging her scythe with a flourish. With a dash, she closed in, unleashing a flurry of scythe strikes.

I countered, sidestepping and parrying, searching for the right moment to retaliate.

As the clash intensified, Rita's movements became even more fluid, her scythe a deadly extension of her will. Each of her strikes was calculated, leaving me little room to counter. The arena echoed with the clash of metal against metal.

In the midst of our exchange, Rita suddenly somersaulted backward, creating distance. She twirled her scythe with a flourish, her eyes locked onto mine.

"Shin, you're holding back. I know there's more to you than this. Show me!" Rita egged me on with a playful smirk.

A surge of determination coursed through me. This time, I wouldn't hold back. I lunged forward and continued to slash.

In an instant, Rita's scythe landed blows on both my arms, causing them to bleed. Stepping back, I attempted to regain my composure, but exhaustion was already setting in.

"Shin... You're like a boar charging forward... A boar that's just fast and straightforward," Rita remarked with a smirk.

"Shut up," I grunted.

"Hehe~ How about trying that sword of yours?" Rita teased.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I pushed forward, but Rita swiftly countered, using her scythe to pull me in before pinning me to the ground.

"See? You're charging again, just like a boar."

Gunshots interrupted our duel, and Rita swiftly dodged, darting backward. "That was rude," she remarked.

"Shin, are you alright?" Mei crouched down beside me, holding my head.

"Leave this to me, Shin!" Kiana took a determined stance, wielding her dual pistols.

Kiana sprang into action, firing a series of rapid shots toward Rita, who gracefully evaded the bullets, ducking and weaving between the attacks.

"Kiana, you're too predictable!" Rita taunted, gracefully dodging the shots while advancing closer to Kiana.

Mei helped me to my feet, concern etched on her face. "Shin, can you stand?"

"I'll manage," I grunted, trying to shake off the pain.

Meanwhile, Kiana continued her onslaught, attempting to keep Rita at bay with her relentless barrage of bullets. Yet, Rita effortlessly dodged each shot, closing the distance between them with an elegant dance-like footwork.

That fighting style... Kata Gun Style, That's impressive but wait a second... Rita's already closing in!

"Kiana, watch out!" I warned, noticing Rita closing in.

But before Rita could reach her, a surge of electricity crackled in the air. A flash of lightning followed by a loud rumble diverted everyone's attention.