Chapter 3 - Calm Before The Storm (1)

As we pressed forward, Mei slowly began to regain consciousness. Her eyes fluttered open, and she groaned, "Ugh... Kiana-chan, I..."

"Mei-senpai?" Kiana's voice was filled with concern.

"Mei-neesan!" Bronya added.

"Bronya-chan, Shin-kun... you must have helped us access the interiors of this battleship? How is the combat?" Mei inquired, looking at each of us in turn.

"Combat performance nominal. This defense system is familiar to the Bronya. Hacking will be simple," Bronya replied with her characteristic stoicism.

Very familiar to her?

"Where's Kiana-chan, is she injured?" Mei's worry was evident.

"I'm a-o-kay! I think I can run another marathon piggy-backing Mei like this."

I swear I just saw your face sweating though.

"Bronya, when you said you've seen these defense systems before, were you talking about your time with Anti-Entropy?" I asked, intrigued by the familiarity she mentioned.

"Affirmative. Designs, features, and even slogans and logos bear the marks of Anti-Entropy." Bronya tapped her chin as she mused, "The Bronya does not understand why an unmanned battleship like this would appear here."

"Anyhow, let's proceed and finish this mission." After all, we shouldn't be idle around here

"That's true," Mei agreed.

I turned to Mei, a sense of relief washing over me. "Also, I'm glad you're alright, Mei-senpai."

Our progress resumed, and after a few minutes of walking, we encountered three Honkai beasts and a katana-wielding zombie.

"That zombie is a Jun-Ninja," Mei informed us. "A katana-wielding biological type."

Bronya swiftly formulated a plan. "Shin, take care of that zombie. I'll handle these three," she instructed.

I unsheathed my katana and assumed a combat stance. "Roger!"

I was the first one to charge in toward the katana-wielding zombie, our clash echoing through the corridor.

Meanwhile, Bronya gracefully sidestepped and aimed her versatile weapon, the Bunny 19C, at the three Honkai beasts.

Her weapon had various capabilities, including Rockets, Cluster Missiles, Laser Beams, and a Gatling Gun.

Mei watched my swordplay closely. "Shin knows how to sword fight, huh."

"Bronya looks like she's just playing around with the Houkai beasts..."

Kiana, You should really speak for yourself.

"Idiot Kiana, I'm not playing around. I am only finding their weaknesses," Bronya retorted in her usual deadpan tone as she continued her evasive maneuvers.

In truth, Bronya was not merely walking; she was floating. Her robotic legs allowed her to switch between walking and floating modes, although she rarely bothered with the former.

On my side, I continued to press the attack, determined to overcome the katana-wielding zombie. With each swing of my katana, I aimed for faster and more precise strikes.

"Haah!!"

The sound of clashing swords filled the air, and then I heard an unexpected sound—*the snapping of a sword*?

I actually broke the zombie's sword!?

Wait, No time for celebration!

JUST KILL IT!

Finally, I managed to break through the zombie's defenses and swiftly slashed its neck, causing it to crumple to the ground and disintegrate into dust.

I panted heavily, wiping the sweat from my brow. As I caught my breath, I noticed that my right hand was glowing faintly.

Why is my right hand... Questions later, I have to help Bronya!

I turned to Bronya, who had effortlessly dispatched the Honkai beasts without breaking a sweat. Her proficiency in combat was nothing short of remarkable.

She's already done.

"That was surprisingly fast, Bronya," I remarked as I approached her, sheathing my katana.

Bronya responded with a hint of humor, "Yeah, I might've broken my own world record speedrun."

"What?" I blinked in surprise.

"What?" Bronya returned my gaze, equally puzzled.

...

...

...

"Anyway, Kiana, let's move now!" I redirected the conversation to our mission.

Kiana was carrying Mei, and she seemed reluctant to let go. "Yeah! Coming!"

As we continued our mission, a strange calm settled over our surroundings. The only sounds were the gentle hum of the ship's machinery and the rhythmic typing of Bronya on her hologram as she hacked the consoles to open gates for us.

"Kiana, you can put me down now. I'm alright," Mei suggested, breaking the silence.

Kiana seemed surprised. "Wha~? So soon?"

"There is no need to over-stress your physicals. Mei-neesan, over-stressing your physicals will be harmful. The Bronya only managed to escape Anti-Entropy with your help." She smiled at Mei. "Allow the Bronya to take care of things for now," Bronya reassured Mei.

That's wholesome for a deadpan game addict like you, Bronya.

Kiana's eyes widened as she connected the dots. "Ah!"

We all turned to Kiana, our expressions with confusion.

"What's up, Kiana?" Mei inquired.

"Mei, you wanted to get off me because you gained weight but didn't want me to find out?!"

Unable to contain my amusement, I snickered and looked away. "Shin-kun, why are you laughing?" Mei asked, her smile holding a hint of mischief.

Woah! There's a devil's face behind her! Scary!

"N-No, nothing. Sorry," I managed to stammer, trying to hide my laughter.

And so we proceeded our way back to the mission.