Chapter 11 - Maid In Action

Tonight at 7 P.M., Rita and I will be patrolling the city. With the sudden emergence of houkai beasts during the night, it has become crucial for us to ensure the safety of the civilians. This city is under our protection, and we cannot allow any harm to befall its inhabitants is what the mission briefing says but...

I can't shake off the unease I feel about being with her.

"By the way, Shin. Are you not gonna compliment my new look?" Rita asked with a playful smile.

"I'd love to, but I'm quite focused on the mission right now," I replied, my attention still on the task at hand.

"How heartless, I was excited to hear your thoughts on my battlesuit, you know?" She pouted, her eyes momentarily flicking toward her sleek and beautifully designed battlesuit.

I couldn't help but steal a quick glance at her new attire. It was a sight to behold, a perfect fusion of elegance and combat functionality, predominantly green and white.

"By the way, do you know what this battlesuit is called?" Rita quizzed.

"What...?"

"Stalker: Phantom Iron, an anti-BIO stalker battlesuit developed in Helheim Labs. It's equipped with an integrated monitoring system that closely observes the user's physical condition and administers booster shots when needed."

"So, it relies heavily on those boost shots?"

Rita shook her head. "Not entirely. The exoskeletal armor plays a significant role in battle as well," she added.

"Interesting,"

Then, Rita conjured a mechanical lightning circle and summoned a fearsome mechanical hound. The creature's appearance was menacing, its teeth crackling with green lightning, and its body dominated by an eerie combination of green and black.

 The creature's appearance was menacing, its teeth crackling with green lightning, and its body dominated by an eerie combination of green and black

"Is it okay for you to let him out like this?"

With a grin, Rita reassured me, "It's fine. He won't bite. After all, he's my cute pet." She affectionately patted the hound's head. "Codename HD-603, the autonomous tracking weapon - Stalker Carbon."

I swallowed nervously, turning away from the impressive, yet intimidating, mechanical beast.

"And you know the best part? A tiny genetic sample from the targets will keep it hunting," she added with a mischievous glint in her eye.

Eek... Thinking about it is scary

Hours passed as Rita and I patrolled the city's rooftops. So far, there were no signs of Houkai beast appearances or any incidents.

As we leaped from roof to roof, Rita unexpectedly dropped a question that almost sent me tumbling over the edge.

"By the way, Shin."

I responded cautiously, "Yes?"

"Do you like Bronya?"

My face turned as red as a tomato, and I nearly fumbled my next jump. "Wha...?" I barely managed to grip the ledge tightly to prevent a fall.

Rita sighed, "Watch where you're jumping, Shin. You might die if you fall, you know?"

I panted, flustered. "Then stop asking that!"

She chuckled, "Fufu~ I'm simply curious about your relationship with Bronya Zaychik."

Stammering, I finally answered, "We're just friends, squadmates!"

"Really?"

I hesitated, unable to respond.

She urged, "So if Bronya Zaychik liked someone, what would you do?"

...Then I'll support her... right?

Before I could answer, a sudden explosion to the east caught my attention, and I stared in that direction, seeing plumes of smoke rising into the sky.

Rita promptly pulled me back up. "Let's move."

I nodded, and we both refocused our attention on the source of the explosion.

As we leaped to the next building, we finally spotted some action below. Houkai beasts had gathered in the nearby alleyway.

"My, my, what do we have here?" Rita's eyes gleamed as she smiled. "A horde of Seraph Class and an Emperor Class 'Queen'." Rita turned around and activated her communication device, projecting a hologram in front of her. "Miss Theresa, we've located a horde of Seraph Class and an Emperor Class 'Queen'."

"Proceed with the cleanup but make sure no civilians are not on sight."

"As you wish."

"By the way, Rita, Grandpa wants you to come back after this mission."

Rita nodded and ended the communication. She turned to me. "Any movements?"

I shook my head. "No, they seem to be staying down there." I suspected they were guarding something. "What's the plan?"

Rita grinned mischievously. "We're going to clean them up." She leaped down and summoned her mechanical hound from the air, and then the two of them plunged toward the Houkai beasts followed by me landing gracefully on the ground.

Rita looked back at me, "Shin, deal with the horde of Seraph Class. I'll take care of the Queen."

"Roger," I said, drawing the new blade I had acquired earlier from the weaponry before the mission.

Rita chuckled, her eyes flicking toward my weapon. "Oh? What a nice weapon you got there."

"Thanks," I said, gripping my blade tightly. "But right now, we should focus on our goal!" I dashed forward slashing the houkai in half.

Rita simply smirked and swung her scythe in an elegant arc before taking a confident stance. "Time to clean up." We were ready for the impending battle with the Houkai.

I continued to slash through the hordes of Houkai beasts, my strikes precise but increasingly tiring as their numbers seemed endless.

These archangels might be small and agile, but they were predictably aggressive, making them somewhat easier to handle. However, with their sheer quantity, it was still a daunting task.

On Rita's side, she appeared to be effortlessly toying with the Queen. Her agile movements and taunting words made it seem like she was having a leisurely dance with her opponent.

"Is that all you can do?" she sighed with a hint of disappointment. "I'm disappointed."

"Rita!?" I called out, trying to keep my focus. "Don't you think it's time we end this!?"

Rita paused and glanced in the direction I was pointing. "I see..."

In a flash, she dashed backward and smiled at the Queen. "Allow me to show you my most elegant move." She pointed at the Queen as her mechanical hound transformed into a lightning bolt and struck the Queen.

Rita followed up with a graceful dash and a swift upward slash that sent the Queen airborne. In the blink of an eye, she executed another quick strike that cut the Queen into pieces and turned into specks of dust.

"I'm finished here. What about you, Shin?"

"I'm... good," I said, panting slightly as fatigue washed over me.

"Good, let's fall back."

I nodded, and we quickly retreated from the area, not wanting to draw attention to the fact that the city was under threat.

It was best to keep it quiet for the time being.

As we leaped from one rooftop to another, something caught my eye.

"Hm?" In the distance, I spotted a figure wearing a black dress. On their right shoulder was a symbol that read "武," and they wore a white mask with a single eye. The figure stood there, seemingly watching us.

"I found you."