Prologue.

I have often pondered silly things, things like if they took all the boats and ships out of the water, by how much would the sea level drop? Enough to offset the effect of global warming and stop small islands being flooded?

Or like once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity?

And what disease did cured ham actually have?

Silly ..... isn't it?

And whose cruel idea was it to put an 's' in the word 'lisp'?

That's crazy and so unkind.

Does this make you odd if you think like this? Does it make you different? Strange? Or just simply plain weird? Who knows? But it's important to ponder, isn't it?

Recently I have been pondering about more important things. Things of significance. Things that matter.

Things like why is it that the good looking boys, and the really beautiful, pretty girls get noticed and are always surrounded by friends and admirers?

Are we all so shallow?

Are you not at all curious as to why the ones that really stand out get noticed too? You know, the ones that were obviously at the back of the queue when the good looks were being handed out. You know, the downright ugly ones, the freaks and the weirdos .... and not forgetting the nerds. All those that are 'different' or deemed odd and strange, while the rest of us so-called 'normal' and ordinary looking students do not? Why should they get all the attention?

Why do exciting things happen to other students and not to you? Is it because you are invisible to everyone else? Is this why you always miss out? Or is it because you are just ordinary, and any close friends are ordinary too?

Is this why you do not stand out in a crowd?

Have you ever felt that lecturers are only interested in students that are academically outstanding or show promise, or in those students that have a special talent, or are gifted in some way? Have you ever wondered why they get all the attention while untalented students who are struggling to keep up are ignored?

Why is it that some rich students seem to be surrounded by friends, while the poor students cut lonely figures? Does their (or their parents) wealth buy them this popularity?

Have you ever asked yourself why it is so hard to get noticed? To get the chance to shine. To actually be good at something. To have a moment of glory.

Is it too much to ask for someone to notice you? To say nice things to you.

So many things to ponder about .... To get clear in your mind.

But what if you are from a wealthy family and yet you still cut a lonely figure?

What if you deemed yourself to be good looking, and yet you still felt others found you unattractive?

What if you were not academically challenged and were super talented in some way, yet were still ignored?

What if you believed that you were not ordinary and still did not stand out? There must be something wrong with you .... But what is it?

Is it because you are plain and boring?

Why is this .....? Or is this just the way things are?

I've often pondered on these very questions, and many more, but it was just before I was due to return to college, after the summer break, that something happened to me.

In one split second of madness my life changed forever.