Chapter 23. Heritage.

Ming nudged me and glared at me. I looked straight at him without blinking, holding his stare.

"Pond said I could ask him anything and he would always answer me. He would never lie and tell me the truth. This is what you said, isn't it Pond?"

"It's okay Ming. I'm not surprised he has asked this. I have been expecting it after what happened tonight."

Ming performed another wai. "I am sorry Pond. I told him earlier when he asked me the same question not to ask you. I reminded him that with MerPeople there is no such thing as gay."

"That may be so," I butted in, "but Khun Chiang said something that reminded me of things Pond has told us before. Now it all makes sense to me."

"Tell me what he said, please?" Pond asked, looking a little puzzled.

I went to say and then I had cold feet. I remembered that some of it was what Pond had told me privately and I was suddenly not sure what Ming had been told.

Pond saw my hesitation and the sudden reluctance to answer him. "Can you not remember now? Is this why you hesitate."

"No," I replied, "I can remember, but maybe it is something I should not talk about as I'm not sure if Ming was with me when you told me."

"I trust Ming enough for you to tell him anything I said to you. Have I not already said this?"

"Yes, but I think if it's what I understand it to be, it's pretty personal."

"Ming will find that he can ask me personal things when he knows me better. He is known for his discretion, which is why he was assigned to me. He showed this earlier when he said River had been indiscreet and would not say in front of you. Just say what he said to you? I am intrigued to know as he has told me that he can see how similar to me you are now without touching lips."

"It was when he could tell the difference between Korn and Karn...., you know when he called me over to talk privately with him. He said about you having many human characteristics that you inherited from your mother's side of the family. This is why others doubt your judgement, but he doesn't."

I watched Ming's face for a reaction but he showed none. I continued. "It reminded me of what you said one time that when you looked in my heart you saw a reflection of what is in your own. You said you could see some of yourself in me. Do you remember?"

Pond nodded and just smiled.

"You said you could understand my struggle without knowing anything about me, and could feel my anxiety and where it was. This is why when Khun Chiang touched lips with me it was very different. He knew what you had seen and why you went against your sister's decision. He knew about this alleged common bond you say is between us. He knew everything, and where to look, because you told him. You told me Khun Chiang would understand that but not his advisors. They don't, because they don't accept that a Merman can have feelings like a human."

Ming nudged me again. This time it was quite hard.

He performed an even deeper wai. "I am truly sorry for his continued rudeness. This is the first time he has said anything like this to me. I've heard how it angers you."

"You have heard this?" There was an incredulity in Pond's voice. "Who from?" He then demanded.

I kept quiet, wondering if I had now overstepped the mark.

"There had been a rumour at the aquarium when you were due to arrive. But the instigator of it was not with us long and I am sure it has been forgotten. River said the same thing to me tonight. He said many other things that were disparaging of you and of Khun Chiang."

"You will tell me everything River said to you later Ming, but first I want to know what else Khun Chiang said to Earth that made him ask if he was my boyfriend and my lover."

I looked at Ming but he gave me no encouragement. "You said it is possible for a Merman to love someone of their own gender but not mate with them. You said it was impossible. I just thought that if you were on land and you had legs and no tail and were more human then...... It's not just me that saw the looks and touches between you and Khun Chiang. Karn and Korn saw it too."

I looked at Ming, but he was staring at the floor in front of him.

"So did Ming, although he probably won't admit it. When you went downstairs and were gone for some time, I could see a difference in you when you returned. When Top asked where you were, Yacht just pointed and Top laughed. It was a disrespectful laugh. He was making fun of you. I'm sorry Pond, but if the relationship between you and Khun Chiang is meant to be a secret then your cover's blown."

Pond's face turned a deep shade of red. I wasn't sure if it was with embarrassment or anger, but if it was the latter he suppressed it well.

I wished I hadn't said anything in the first place as I then had to relate the whole of the conversation I had with Chiang as asked. I don't think I forgot anything, and was pleased to see that Pond's anger had subsided.

Pond looked up at me. "Nothing seems to pass by you, does it? It saddens and angers me that you witnessed the disrespect from Top. My father always said keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. We have spoken before about how people see something and it was not what was happening at all. I don't know what you thought the looks and the touches between us were all about, that made you all talk about it like you did. We went downstairs because we were both deeply upset about something personal between us, and we didn't want to embarrass ourselves or our guests."

I began to apologise but Pond put his fingers to his lips indicating me to be quiet.

"Khun Chiang's love and companionship is most important to me but his safety is my biggest worry. Ming is right when he says there have been rumours of my human heritage. It is true but it is of no importance to anyone other than my enemies. Khun Chiang knows that I risked everything for you, Earth, and is really fascinated by why I have selected you and Ming, of all the humans that are available, to be close to me. He thinks what appeals to me is the fact that we are all so similar. You both have an intensity to love. When I touched lips with you, Earth, I felt this. When Fish touched lips with Ming over 10 years ago, she felt it too. This, Earth, is what she felt when she touched lips with you, but she felt your confusion too. She thought you were far too headstrong, too stubborn and too single minded to be controlled. She also saw the common bond that binds us and thought it would come between me and Khun Chiang. This is why she let you go."  

"Did you just say your sister, Fish, touched lips with me?" Ming asked, looking shocked.

"Yes. You were drowning," answered Pond, as a matter of fact. "She rescued you and breathed air into your lungs. You woke up and saw her. She put you on the turtle and told you to say nothing. This you have done."

"I do not remember her touching my lips. No one has said anything about that?"

"Are you not trusted? You know only by touching lips in seawater can we tell if you can be trusted or not?"

"Why have you not told me?" Ming asked.

"You have not asked. You know to get any answer you must first ask a question. Earth asks enough for two humans, maybe even three."

Ming chuckled at another attempted joke from Pond. "Yes, he does, doesn't he?"

I slapped Ming on the arm. "If I hadn't asked you wouldn't know it was Pond that saved you from being snuffed out, so button it!"

"Do you still have more questions, Earth?"

"Yes, but they can wait, although I'm not sure if you have answered my last question yet."

Ming put his head in his hands. "Leave it for tonight Earth, please? He has answered you. What more do you expect him to say?"

"A simple yes or no would be a start."

"Ming has told you. I have already answered you. Think about what I have said tonight. I have said more than I ever have done before to anyone. You must now know that you can always trust me."