Chapter 60. Rebirth.

I was sitting in my office going through my morning post and checking my emails.

It has been 9 months since my 18th Birthday and today would turn out to be the day that I had longed for the whole of that time. A day, not as memorable, or as significant as my 18th Birthday was, but a day of joy and relief.

Talking of my 18th Birthday, What a party that had been and what a time to remember, in more ways than one!

My mother had Uncle Film and Songpob arrange it at the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. One of the city's classiest and most luxurious hotels. Whilst it was perfectly cosmopolitan, it exudes traditional Thai charm. My style exactly.

We had three nights there and I loved it.

When I say we, I actually mean, the six of us.

Ming and I, the Twins, of course, and Pang, and Sky,

My mother, sister, niece and nephew stayed over just the night of my birthday, along with Ming's parents, and his sister, Cherry and boyfriend, New.

Songpob and his wife, Poppy, stayed over too, and he told me afterwards that Chiang and Book had been invited to stay the night but they had declined, purely because they had arranged to go back to see Pond. That I totally got, and was 100% cool about it.

Ming and I had one of the Royal Suites with private access and its own spa and gym. The twins, Pang, and Sky had specially selected bedrooms close by so they could use our facilities, when I allowed them, which was quite a lot actually.

It was pure indulgence and when Korn googled the prices on the hotel website and saw it was over 235.000 Thai Baht per night he had a pink fit. It didn't stop him from exploiting the situation and having the time of his life though.

It was over that weekend, totally unplanned and on the spur of the moment, that cherries were popped, and I'm sure you all know the expression, 'Once popped, you can't stop!'

Ming was gentle and considerate and all my concerns and fears regarding that type of union vanished in a whirl of activity over a long and exciting six hour period.

We haven't looked back since.

Now I have my own office, nothing as grand as my father's was, but still impressive for a guy my age. I also have my own personal assistant who manages my diary and any other requirements I need.

I had accomplished my internship in various departments, getting a crash course on how each department functioned and how the various companies within the group operated. Now I am learning the role of CEO under the guidance of a trusted expert who has been brought in by Songpob on Chiang's recommendation and with Uncle Film's help.

I had replaced many of the top management in all the companies with trusted people on Chiang's recommendations and the difference was reflected in the profits that each company was now making. Uncle Film was so impressed that he persuaded my mother to increase my responsibilities and to accept some of the radical changes that I was now proposing.

Songpob was proving to be amazing. Not just in ability but in his reading of any situation. His ground work and preparations for meetings and in his documentations were now almost matching Uncle Film's.

Ming and the twins liked him. I was pleased that Songpob kept the correct protocol between them, not too familiar and not too distant, that earned him their trust too. I have total faith in him and I'm glad that I didn't let our initial meeting spoil the professional friendship we have gone on to develop.

Ming and I have our own temporary apartment in one of the smarter complexes that I own while the new development is being built.

The main part of the development is nearing completion, a whole 6 six weeks ahead of schedule, while the car park and extra deep pool part of the complex looks likely to overrun slightly. It's the security aspect that is causing part of the delay as it cannot be compromised. Book is overseeing most of it under Chiang's watchful eye.

Ming's been left to run the aquarium almost single handed since he left college. We had agreed that he wouldn't work for me as we both wanted to have time away from each other. He was doing such a good job and was so reliable that the owner was already thinking of promoting him to General Manager.

Ming didn't know, and I was certainly not going to tell him, that Chiang had pushed for this position for him, and Ming was going to be offered the position at the end of the month.

The twins, as you may have already guessed, now work for me in the same building. Korn is serving his internship in warehousing and despatch, while Karn is serving his in accountancy. They both know that I want them, eventually, to be heads of their respective departments, but it will be on merit and not because they are my two closest male friends and confidants.

The fact that the staff know of their special relationship with me, and share an apartment in the same complex as us, has worked in their favour. They are given help and information all the time. I guess people want to keep on the right side of them as they fear that they could lose their jobs if they don't.

It's not true because they aren't like that, and besides, they wouldn't want to wield that sort of power.

My mother came good with her connections with the heart specialist and Kla had open heart surgery 8 months ago. He has recovered well and is thriving now. His family met most of the cost of the operation and his recovery, and I picked up the rest, despite the twins voicing their...., let's say displeasure...., that I did so. They were sad that as a family they couldn't quite afford to settle the whole cost. I have refused to allow them to pay me back so the twins now donate 10% of their wages to a fund for disadvantaged children with health problems, which I, and some of the top management team, also make a monthly donation to.

I am still close friends with Pang and she's just started training in one of my promotion companies in another building. Her relationship with me has been kept low key, at her request, so that she can continue to make genuine friends without links back to me.

Sky is still involved with the aquarium dance promotions due to the success of the dance club two months ago in Chiang Mai. Although they didn't win, they achieved a credible second place, missing out on the top spot by one point.

Chiang was pleased that the promotion highlighting the use, or should I say, misuse of plastic and man made materials was a major success. Many leading companies were now asking him what could they do to help. I was delighted for him, as this change in people's attitude towards the environment was down to his vision.

It was at 10:07am, shortly after my PA, Hope, had brought in another morning caffeine fix, that she buzzed through on the intercom, with some news that would make my day.