Chapter 7. Approval.

I was already waiting in the lobby of Ming's dormitory building, with my swimming shorts in my sports bag, as requested by text from Ming earlier, when the Bangkok Marine World Aquarium MPV pulled up outside the door. Ming and Pond suddenly appeared at my side as if by magic.

Ming's arm instantly found a place to rest over my shoulders. "And how was your day?" He asked, as we walked towards the car.

"Eventful, but I was able to keep everything from Pang. I'll tell you all what happened later," I replied. "And how was your first day Pond?" I asked, returning the smile that he was giving me.

"Eventful too," he answered, and then laughed.

"He was besieged with gifts of drinks and snacks from girls wanting to know him. Even the Kathoeys were giggling and vying for his attention." Ming started to laugh as well. "They are shipping us as a couple already."

The car door was opened for us by the driver and the three of us sat in the seats in the back.

"Just some things you need to know before we get there," Ming said, as the car pulled away. "This will be a new experience for you. Any questions you have later, about tonight, you ask me or Pond. Don't ask anyone else. Very basically for now all you need to know is that everyone at the aquarium has varying degrees of knowledge of what goes on there. Everyone must wear a dark maroon jumpsuit at all times, but always be cautious of saying anything to anyone unless you are told the extent to which they are trusted. Everyone has a code written on their name badge that only Merman's can read. It states the level of trust of that person. If ever you see anyone wearing a sea blue green jumpsuit, they are top management, and you do not pay any attention to them or stare. It is rare you see them but please observe this protocol. Do you understand so far?"

"Yes, I think so," I answered. "Is it easy to tell Merman from humans?"

"Once you are accepted I will tell you." Ming answered.

"What do you mean by once I am accepted?" I asked. "I thought I already was?"

"You need to be approved by the new Land Ruling Officer for MerPeople in the Gulf of Thailand," Pond interrupted, cutting Ming off from answering. "He is the youngest son of our Emperor, and he's not very experienced regarding matters on land, although he is now the most important Merman here. This approval is necessary for the protection of all the Merman here. He wants to confirm that I was right in saving you, and that's why I told Ming to invite you to come tonight. His Royal Highness's cover on land is that he is the nephew of the aquarium's owner and he took over as Chief Executive of the aquarium last month. He is known to all the staff as Khun Chiang and only Merman and selected humans are aware of his royal status."

I was a little put out that they doubted my sincerity. Why tell me anything before being approved and fully accepted? It didn't make sense to me. Pond must have been reading my mind.

"It is easy to say you will help us, but Khun Chiang wants to know if you really mean it. Fish was doubtful about you. Khun Chiang is a little older than me, and this is his first assignment, which is why he has commanded his two most experienced advisors to attend tonight. He wants them to check you and to endorse your approval. They are more knowledgeable than him, or me, in matters like this, but they are aware of my understanding of you and will consider my decision to save you with respect."

"What if they don't approve me? What happens next?" I asked, now starting to worry if I was in something way above my head.

"You must trust me," Pond answered. "I am not wrong. I will be with you, right by your side throughout."

I felt more at ease, but still nervous. Ming was sitting next to me, not saying a word now, and was motionless. I knew that Pond had taken control and he was now clearly in charge.