Chapter 12. Korn's Plan.

After I had left the washroom I checked the time on my phone. It was almost midnight. Too late to call Ming or Pond now. I decided I would just send a text when I got back to the room and arrange to meet them before lessons started in the morning.

Golf was still glued to his porno movie, with both his earphones in, when I clambered up on my bunk, and not surprisingly he totally ignored me.

I sent Ming a quick text and copied it to Pond.

"I'm glad you didn't upset Karn again in the washroom," Korn suddenly said rather abruptly. "He seems to have taken it on himself to worry about you these days since the attack. Could you not at least have let him know earlier that you were back and okay? You've never been out late like this before."

I looked across to his bunk to see him looking right at me. "We have just talked and cleared the air between us. We are cool with each other again, but you know that already, don't you?" I answered, knowing how telepathic they could be.

"Yeah, but Karn is more sensitive than people realise. He doesn't like confrontation...., especially here in the room."

I knew what he was referring to and decided to play the bigger person. "I am sorry I lost my temper with you all just now. So much has changed for me the past few weeks that I'm not thinking as clearly as I normally do. Just bear with me, will you?"

"Okay, but you just watch yourself with those fags. You could be eaten before you know it. They won't be the only ones after a piece of you either, now that you've got even richer. You'll need to be more astute when you have more control of your wealth."

"And you're not after a piece of the wealth that I've suddenly inherited?" I shot back at him.

Korn sat up and swung his legs over the side of his bed and looked directly at me.

"We don't look at you any different than we did before. Yeah! You've always been this rich kid with more money than you know what to do with but any benefit from that is just one of the perks of being roommates with you."

"Thanks... I think?" I answered, not sure whether there was a compliment or not somewhere in there.

Korn nodded towards Golf below me who was still engrossed in his porno movie and appeared oblivious to what we were discussing. "We can't obviously speak for him, but regardless of that, Karn says you're a genuine guy and a good roomie..., someone he likes and gets on with. I'm okay with that. If Karn's happy, then I'm happy."

"That's good as I think the same about him." I answered, wondering where this conversation was going.

"Me and Karn were chatting earlier about when you turn 18. We wouldn't mind renting a two bed apartment in one of the blocks you will then own." Karn gave me a cheeky look as he added. "Highly discounted of course."

"Ah! One of the benefits you mentioned of being roomies with me, right?" I suggested.

Korn laughed. "You see Mum and Dad said they would give us an apartment allowance so we can move out of here. We've told them we need to sleep in separate rooms from now, but we will secretly sublet a room to Golf, as he can't afford to move on his own, and I will continue to share with Karn. I would not be happy leaving Golf here and him having to find new roommates. You, of course, will have a penthouse apartment somewhere. Does that sound like a good plan, or what?"

"I thought you liked living on Campus? You said everything was close by and so convenient."

"That I did but Karn thinks it will be less distracting for me if we have moved out to an apartment before it's exam time . You know I'm not as academic as Karn and he's beginning to worry that my grades aren't gonna be good enough. Whatever happens we need to stay together. Us being apart will never be an option."

"It's funny you should say that as I've been thinking about moving out to an apartment myself for exactly the same reason. If I'm going to be as successful in business as my father was, then I'm going to have to get good grades too. Can't be seen as the weak link in the boardroom now, can I?"

"No, but why haven't you said anything about this to Karn. You usually tell him most things that are on your mind."

"I was going to broach the subject with him...., but I didn't want to offer it and for it to come across as charity, or for it to look like I was paying for your friendship like some of the other rich kids do."

"We wouldn't see it as charity," Korn instantly replied. "We would see it as a mate helping other mates out. You know the benefit thing I mentioned earlier. Nothing wrong with that, is there? It happens all the time in business, doesn't it?"

"Good. I'm glad you see it like that because it's how I see it too. I've valued the time I've spent sharing with you all. I really appreciate the way you guys look out for me and have kept the hawks away. I'm not ready to split from you, or to lose close contact with you because of my inheritance. I'm sure we can work something out. I was going to see if Pang and Sky wanted to move out of the girls dorm later too. Golf, I'm sure, would be really delighted about that but he better not screw things up by coming on to her, like he always does. She finds it tiresome. Could you have a word with him about that when he's available to listen?"

"He knows he doesn't stand a chance with Pang," Korn answered just as Karn came back into the room after showering. "He does it to wind her up and to get a reaction. He's got his sights set on this girl, Mint. She's got legs that go right up to her armpits and the cutest melons he's ever seen. She's not shipping with anyone and his first encounters have proved promising."

"It's gone midnight!" Karn stated, matter of factly. "Do you want me to turn the lights out yet?"

"You can do," I answered. "I'm ready to sleep now anyway."

Karn turned out the light, plunging the room momentarily into darkness until the flickering light from Golf's tablet assisted our eyes to regain some vision. Golf remained unmoved as Korn settled back down on his bunk, and Karn lay down on his.

I closed my eyes and thought back to the conversation earlier with Ming and Pond. I hoped that they both understood my reasons for refusing to pretend to be Ming's boyfriend. It was mainly because I was worried if I did, my mother might find out and get the wrong idea. She was still distraught and not coping with losing half her family in such a violent attack. The knowledge that her surviving son was 'gay', even if it was only a pretence, would probably be the last straw. Anyway, I didn't like the idea of pretending to be someone I was not and I felt it would give Ming false hope.

The light from Golf's tablet suddenly went out as he too settled down to sleep.

I heard just a quiet sound of movement coming from the bunk opposite and knew it was Korn now slipping down to cuddle with Karn. I chuckled to myself about his abusive rant about gays earlier, and there he was, now cuddling up to his twin brother in bed. Nevertheless I found it sweet how he cared so much about Karn that he would risk being made fun of, if it ever became general Campus knowledge.

My thoughts drifted back to Ming and Pond. I was impressed by the way Pond had explained to Ming why he had to disguise my scent in the way that he did. I saw the look of horror on Ming's face when he was told what would have happened if I hadn't been approved.

I thought he must be now wishing he hadn't asked the question, and insisting on Pond answering it.

Pressing the star below to show you liked this chapter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 🙏🏽
M ❤️