Chapter 1. Introductions.

I suppose it would help if I introduced myself, wouldn't it?

I am known as Earth, but that is my nickname. My Thai name is Atthaphan Khunatipapisirisunkit and, as is the Thai custom, I was given my nickname by my parents after I was born. After all, Atthaphan Khunatipapisirisunkit is quite a mouthful, isn't it?

 After all, Atthaphan Khunatipapisirisunkit is quite a mouthful, isn't it?

I am a 17 year old Thai boy, soon to be 18, from Samut Sakhon and studying graphics at the university college in Bangkok

I am a 17 year old Thai boy, soon to be 18, from Samut Sakhon and studying graphics at the university college in Bangkok. Samut Sakhon is at the estuary of the Tha Chin Klong River, on the Gulf of Thailand, and is 48 km from Bangkok. It's best known for its fishing industry and sea salt production.

I am from quite a wealthy family. My father, Asnee, is a local politician, businessman, and property developer, and my mother, Chirawan, is a consultant surgeon at the city hospital.

I am the youngest of four children with two brothers and a sister for siblings. My eldest brother, Sun, is a high flying lawyer, and is married with two young children. My sister, Star, is a junior doctor, married, and expecting her second child any day now. My other brother, Moon, is the owner of a luxury boat company and is planning to marry his parentally chosen girlfriend later this year.

My choice of career does not really seem to be important to my parents, as my siblings are already successful and have brought much honour to the family, and I will be allowed to choose whatever career path I want. However, I will be expected to succeed at it, and therefore bring more honour to the family.

They told me recently that they have already chosen a bride for me, Apple, the daughter of a prominent wealthy family, and I am to be introduced to her once this year at college is over, and my expected good grades can be proudly announced and displayed. So no pressure to achieve the desired results then, is there!

My best friend, Pang, is the daughter of our housekeeper, Poom. We are the same age and have known each other since we were babies. Everyone, outside of the family, thinks she is my girlfriend, as we are always together, but in fact we regard each other as brother and sister. There is no romance between us. Not even a little spark, certainly not from my side anyway, although we genuinely love and care about each other. Any romance between us would be disrespectful to my parents and cause a problem as we are from different social circles. She is not included in social events with my family, and I do not get invited to events with hers. Therefore we tend, if possible, to jointly find excuses not to go. She is not the delicate female that her looks portray, she is way too outspoken and direct to the point of annoyance, and at times rudeness. She tells it like it is with no holds barred. Dressing it up to make it sound nice is just so not her. Her style is confusing and quite scary. Boys seem frightened by her and often struggle to work her out.