Chapter 61. Surprise.

Hope's voice came through on the intercom. "I am sorry to disturb you Khun Atthaphan but there is someone down at the ground floor reception who has asked to see you. He does not have an appointment and has refused to give us his name. He says he wants to surprise you."

Someone turning up without an appointment, demanding to see me is not an isolated occurrence. It has happened quite a few times already the past few months and it was usually someone wanting a donation or a handout.

"Thank you, Hope. Would you mind asking them to describe him?" I asked out of curiosity as to who would be able to surprise me had got the better of me.

Hope left the communication channel open as she spoke to the girl on reception, who was definitely not aware that she had done so.

"Well he's cute... and very good looking. Got fabulous skin and to die for eyes. He's hot...., and when I say hot..., I mean HOT!"

I laughed at the description and immediately thought it was Chiang having fun.

"Just tell him we haven't touched lips in a while and he will definitely see me."

It was after hearing that voice that I knew who it was. I didn't even need to register the words.

I ran out of my office and pressed the button continuously for the lift.

The indicator showed it was already going down to street level. I couldn't be bothered to wait for it and crashed loudly through the door on the stairwell to the side of the lift shaft and was racing down the fifteen flights of stairs, two or three steps in a stride to Reception before you could recite a buddhist mantra twenty times.

Huffing and puffing, and with my heart beating nineteen to the dozen, I jumped the last five steps into the foyer and ran straight into his arms, hugging him tightly and kissing him, repeatedly on both cheeks.

The staff on Reception looked on with bewilderment.

"Am I so pleased to see you! Why didn't you tell us you were coming?"

"Firstly, I wanted to surprise you, and secondly, I wanted to be here when we opened the new development." He answered with a broad smile. "Looks like I have achieved the first part of that, doesn't it?"

"Come, come!" I breathlessly implored, as I put my arm through his and shepherded him into the empty lift and pressed the button for my floor. "I'll show my office. I have so much to tell you."

As soon as the doors opened I barked orders at Hope to cancel any appointments that I had that day, and to contact the twins telling them to get their arses in my office right now, and to contact Ming and see if he was free to come now too.

The poor girl looked shocked. So did the rest of the staff in the open plan office. This sort of commotion and behaviour from me was quite unheard of.

"Tell them our dearest friend is here!" I barked again, as I ushered him into my office and closed the door.

"Coffee? Tea? Or juice?" I asked, as he sat down on the sofa, looking around and taking everything in.

"My favourite, if you can remember?" He answered, teasingly.

I pressed the button on the intercom. "Hope? Two Cappuccinos please, both with no sugar. Get someone else to do it while you get hold of Ming and the twins. Thanks."

I stood and looked at him. He looked slightly different. He looked a little drawn in the face but his eyes still had that sparkle that I would always remember.

"That was some greeting, Earth! I take it you missed me."

"Oh! Pond!" I sighed, as I sat down beside him, taking his hand in mine. "I was just going to say that..., and you don't know how much I have..., but you already do, don't you?"