Chapter 56. An Ultimatum.

Yacht brought out more snacks and we chatted more as we ate.

Ming said very little. He kept his head down, keeping his eyes firmly transfixed on the space on the table in front of him. I could see he was unhappy.

Back in our room later that evening, while Korn had gone to shower, Karn leapt to Ming's defence.

"You will lose him if you're not careful. This new found bravado of yours is all on your terms. He is out as gay here. What's to stop other guys hitting on him if they think he is unattached? He loves you and you seem to be ignoring that fact."

"So you think I should come out and stake my claim on him so all the Campus can laugh and make fun of me even more?"

"Come off it, Earth! When was the last time anyone made fun at your expense?"

"Ages ago because I've kept my head down below the parapet since. Who in their right mind would poke their head above it to get shot at? Would you.....? Come on Karn! Answer me that! Would you?"

"Yes! If I loved someone that much I would and it was no longer a secret. You are out with your family and he is with his. You say you're out within your dad's company..., so where's your problem? Get off the fence, Earth, and grow some balls."

I jumped up on my bunk and lay on my back with my hands behind my head. Korn returned to the room killing any further verbal battering from Karn for the moment. I didn't doubt for one minute that Karn would tell Korn all about our conversation at the earliest moment he got.

My main concern was Ming.

I knew I had upset him and he would want to talk to me about it, to try to convince me to come out at college. I wasn't ready and I didn't want to be pushed. So for the next three days I avoided talking with him. It was easy enough as he spent the whole weekend at the aquarium covering for Yacht and Book.

I was bad though, and never phoned or sent him a text, not even on the Sunday night when I knew he must have returned.

I had checked over the weekend both Songpobs' and Uncle Films' reports against the other. At first glance Songpobs looked pretty detailed but on closer inspection it wasn't. It lacked the depth and clarity of Uncles. It was still better than I expected though.

Uncle Film sent me a text on Monday morning asking me to call him as he had more information. I rang him at lunch time.

He advised that it was the project manager and the managing director of the company looking after my interests in Khon Kaen that were syphoning off money from increased rents and the money allocated for renovations and repairs. He advised me that he had taken the liberty of having them arrested as they turned up to work this morning and they were both in custody while further investigations were carried out. He said he hoped I would approve of his actions.

Approve? I was ecstatic and I was desperate to tell Ming so I sent him a text but heard nothing back.

On the Monday evening after Music club I sent him another text and again he never replied. I phoned but he didn't pick up. I tried again, and it went straight to voicemail. I wondered if he had turned off his phone because he was angry with me for not being in contact over the weekend. I knew then that I had to sit down and talk to him or I would lose him, and I didn't want that.

After my last lecture the following day I hung around with Karn by the entrance to the sports changing rooms. Korn was having football training straight after the last lecture today and I knew that Ming was too. I just wanted to catch him before he went in.

I didn't have to wait long.

Ming gave me a half hearted smile as he approached. "Done with not phoning or messaging me over the weekend, are you?" He sarcastically said, as he attempted to walk right past me without stopping.