Chapter 9 - The Awkward Colloquy

'Bhabhi, Can you come with me for a minute?' Shahneel Di asked peeking her head from the doorway

'Sure.' I smiled and followed her outside.

'Kya hua, Di?' I asked.

(What happened?)

'Nothing, I just thought that maybe you and Shubman should talk somewhere more privately. Everyone is in the room and it may feel weird talking in front of so many people.' She said.

Oh

Even though I've been wanting to talk to him but this kinda freaked me out.

I followed her to the balcony at the end of the corridor.

Oh god. Oh god.

He was sitting there. For some reason, I could see his back go stiff and then he turned around. His eyes widened then he looked at his sister. I was looking back and forth between the two of them and I know Di was teasing him and it was funny. She made us sit next to each other and left.

It's just the two of us now and I can feel my heartbeat raise. I turned to look at him and found him looking at me already.

Is this a dream or is he actually looking at me?

I got awkward and started looking at my hands.

'Hi' He said.

I think I'm going to faint because damn, his voice is so good.

'Hi' I said not looking at him because I don't think my heart can take it.

Bohot baat karni thi na? ab kar.

(You wanted to talk to him, right? Now talk)

'How was your flight?' He asked.

Ohh small talks.

'It was good but really tiring. How's Dadaji?' I asked looking at him. We made an eye contact for a few seconds and then I looked away.

'He's better that yesterday.' He said.

'That's good to know. He'll be fine very soon.' I said.

He nodded. 'I hope.'

'You're a doctor too, aren't you?' He said turning his head towards me.

I nodded and smiled a little to which he smiled back.

He smiled AT ME.

We both went silent after that. I know both of us want to talk about the elephant in the room but it's not easy given that we're both meeting for the first time.

Well, technically, it's the second time but first time as married couple.

'Are y-'

'Wha-'