Chapter 38 - The Face-Off

I woke up to gentle rubs on my back

My eyes fluttered open to find a wide awake Shubman gently caressing my back. His eyes flickered around mine with a glint of regret overcast in them.

He heaved a sigh and tugged me closer to his chest. I can feel his heartbeat rise. I backed away a bit to look at his face. His left hand cupped my face and caressed it tenderly.

"I'm so sorry, Kiara. I shouldn't have raised my voice at you." He said in a low voice. Sadness intelligible in his voice.

I don't know what to reply because I agree that he shouldn't have raised his voice at me.

"I swear to god that I'll never do that again. I regret doing that so much. Watching your crying face and swollen eyes is like a punishment to me. Something I'll never be able to get off my head. I'm so sorry." He said.

My right hand reach his face and I caress it with my thumb. "I forgive you, Shubman. I don't like us being like this either. Everything that happened yesterday was unpredictable and both of us acted terrible but I won't deny the fact that I was very hurt when you raised your voice at me." I said tracing the outline of stitching over his t-shirt's neckline.

He nodded. "I won't let that happen again." He said.

I snuggled back to his chest and he wrapped his arms around me with his chin over my head.

"We're okay, right?" He asked.

"Yes." I replied slowly.

We stayed like that for a while until my thoughts went downhill again and I had this sudden urge to check if there is anything stupid on internet again.

What happened during Tara is something I would never forget and I just don't want anything like that to happen ever again. My life was finally getting back on track and I don't want it to derail again.

"Kiara.. " He said making me look up at him.

"What were you saying before I.. I yelled at you?" He asked looking at me with a guilty expression.

"I was saying that you were right about not walking away from her. I over reacted at that. Things would have looked worse if you walked away from her." He closed his eyes and sighed.

"I feel pathetic." He said.

"I was saying that when you cut me off and before you yelled at me, I was saying that she sounded really jealous the last time she met me and her sudden appearance with a change of heart along with best wishes for us seems very fishy to me." I said.

I still think the same.

"I'm sorry for acting like a dick. It's my job to stop you from overthinking and especially, if it's because of me. I asked you to communicate if you ever feel something wrong and ended up not letting you do exactly that. I'll maintain my distance for her and keep an eye for anything weird in her behaviour, I promise. I'll alert my PR team as well to look for anything stupid related to her and me." He said caressing my face.