Ek Tarfa pt2

Shubman's pov

I just sat here still staring at my phone.
I couldn't believe it, I had tried to love her with everything I had. I had tried to make her happy, I had always bought her whatever she liked, always tried to give her the best gifts.

There was Ishan, who had never asked for a thing from me, except my presence, my love, he had never even gotten mad at me when I couldn't answer his calls or if I hadn't spent much time with him since I was busy with Sara. He hadn't complained when I had distanced myself from him. He hadn't argued when I had broken up with him for her. He had always understood and accepted me for who I was.

And yet despite all of this when I had gotten out hitting merely 4 runs in the World Cup Finals against Australia and India had lost the Cup. I had expected my girlfriend to be next to me, comforting me for the loss. But she wasn't. I had called her asking her where she had been caught up, why she wasn't here and she had just broken up with me on call.

I had tears flowing down my face continuously, and they weren't stopping, how could they stop when I had lost everything? I had lost the World Cup for India, I had lost my bestfriend, I had lost my girlfriend, and most importantly I had lost all hope. I had lost hope of things getting better, because how could they get better from this point?

I was in the middle of my self-pitying and crying session, when someone quietly made their way towards me and sat next to me on my bed. As I looked up I was surprised to find my bestfriend, sitting next to me. My Ishan. He had just given me a pitiful look telling me it wasn't my fault.
As I hugged him seeking comfort from him, he just held me close to him, so close. I wanted to kiss him, I wanted to ask for forgiveness but most importantly I also wanted to get away from him, he deserved better, much better than someone like me.

With conflicting emotions, all I could do was stare at his lips in a dilemma of what my next move should be. Should I back off? Maybe, because it was a jerky move to go back to my ex just when my girlfriend had broken up with me. But it was too late he had already noticed me staring at his lips, he had subtly pulled away from the hug and had told me to get some sleep before getting up and leaving.

As I had notified the team about my breakup the next morning during breakfast, all I had gotten in return was pitiful looks by my teammates. Nobody questioned about the breakup as everyone had been going through a lot but they did comfort me and told me they were here for me. I had looked at him though, I had informed the team because of him because I wanted him to know, because I wanted to see his reaction.

He had no reaction though, he didn't look happy or relieved. His face didn't light up with hope as I had wished.
I was disappointed but I knew I didn't deserve anything less than being ignored. This was worse though, he wasn't ignoring me, he had comforted me yesterday and he had been a good friend. Unlike me.

He had been a good friend to me despite myself being a terrible boyfriend and bestfriend to him. And that itself felt like a slap to my face. This is why I had loved him so much, I remembered. This is why I still love him. Because of his kindness and his fiercely caring nature.

Around lunch time, I had decided to talk to him. I had decided that after lunch with the team I would take him for a walk and talk about my feelings, but mainly apologize. But when lunch time came around and he had walked in the room, I realised he wasn't alone. He had Mayank with him and he was smiling. I hadn't seen him smiling since a very long time, not just because of the World Cup loss, he hadn't been smiling since I had befriended Sara.

His smile had always been so pretty, but it had always been exceptionally pretty when I was the one he smiled at. At the dinner all I could do was watch them be happy in their own little world. Ishan smiling, laughing and joking around after a long time had also cheered up the team and had lightened the tense atmosphere.

'They were just friends' I tried to convince myself. But I had seen the way Mayank looked at Ishan and I had known that look, I was very familiar with that look as it was the same way I used to look at Ishan. 'It must be one-sided' I tried consoling myself again, it must be just Mayank, in love with my Ishan, he was always so lovable anyways.

I had followed them after lunch hoping to get Ishan alone, to talk to him.
I had followed them out to the hotel's garden, I wish I hadn't because what I saw next had broken me completely.
I had realised my heart hadn't hurt nearly half as much when Sara had broken up with me over the phone, as it did right now seeing them kissing.

Seeing my Ishan kissing him. Seeing my Ishan looking at him with eyes full of love. Seeing my Ishan smiling at him so brightly. Seeing my Ishan holding his hand. Seeing my Ishan behaving like a cute excited little child in front of him, throwing tantrums. Seeing my Ishan looking at him like he was the only person in the world. Doing the things, he only used to do in front of me.

That is when I realised how much I must have hurt Ishan. I had finally understood how Ishan must have felt seeing me with her. He must have felt much worse than this, since we had even been dating back then.

And when I saw him looking at my Ishan, like he held the entire world in his palms.

That is when I realised I had lost him forever. He wasn't mine anymore. He wasn't my Ishan. And this time I didn't fight for him, just like how he hadn't fought for us back then. Because this time I truly knew that letting him go would keep him much happier than trying to get him back. I could only hope that he would keep my Ish- sorry his Ishan much happier. Maybe he would love Ishan even more than I ever could, and he would treat him much better than I ever did.

So I had now accepted that you had fallen out of love, that you had moved on, just like how you had accepted it back then.
And that it was just me here loving you now, and that our love would never be two-sided ever again.

The End.

________________________________________

I had thought about giving it a happy ending, but I realised that Ishan deserved better than that, sorryy :(

Also I have a sad music playlist which gives me ideas and makes me write sad endings. 😔